Chapter 33

The wait was killing her.

Being cooped up in the St. Louis Cathedral bell tower was almost as bad as being stuck in her cabin in the woods for six years. Freya was working on spells nearby, and Keelin was resembling a dead person on a nearby cot, apparently so hungover that she needed to sleep continuously. It didn't make for fun conversation.

Ibeth was having a hard time comprehending why Keelin came to New Orleans willingly with Freya. Sure, the moonlight ring was useful, but Freya had held her captive despite Ibeth and Hayley's insistence she should be released. Hayley had even tried to free her and Freya had just gone to capture her again. Why the two were now drinking together and apparently inhabiting the same room was beyond her understanding.

"I can't just sit here, I have to do something," Ibeth pleaded. "My kids are out in the Bayou with Hayley, Cami, and Elijah. They're waiting for Klaus and I to meet them there but he's out with a knife that could kill Marcel... he could do anything while The Hollow is festering in his mind."

"It isn't safe for you to go after Klaus or Marcel," said Freya. "And leaving this space now without anyone with you is also a risk. I gave him an hour... he should be back soon."

"Klaus won't abide by a curfew if he thinks he can gain something from looking back into The Hollow. Freya... what spell are you even working on right now?"

She'd used small twigs to craft the image of a serpent eating its own tail, similar to drawings Hayley found in Hope's journal, made when she was infected by The Hollow. "Anything strange happens," said Freya, stepping back, "just wake me up, okay?"

"That's not comforting," said Ibeth quietly.

Freya extended her hands, starting to chant, "Din montre otimo sekre. Din montre otimo sekre..."

As she chanted, a blue light started to fill the room. Then, suddenly, Freya just stared ahead, as if in a trance.

"Okay, now you look possessed," said Ibeth, standing between Freya and the figurine, waving her hands in front of her face. "Freya? Freya." She smacked her across the face. "Freya!"

The witch snapped out of it. "You were right," she said shakily. "It wants Klaus and Marcel to kill each other. And when they die, it will absorb their power, and then we'll never be able to stop it."

She rushed back to her table, spreading a map of the city. She cut into her palm, letting her blood drip over it. Then, she began to chant as Ibeth messaged Elijah and Hayley, informing them of what was going on.

"It says Klaus is in the Bayou," said Freya. "Why would he—?"

Ibeth peered over at that map. "There's an abandoned house in that area, slightly North of where it shows him now. It must be luring them there. Most of the houses in the Bayou except for the cabins in our area are abandoned because murders or strange deaths happened there. It's like when Dahlia was looking for a site marked by death to attack Klaus and Mikael."

Freya and Ibeth drove there quickly after telling Elijah and Hayley where to meet them. The group met at the steps of the house. They could hear a muffled conversation inside, along with some thuds, but it was difficult to know what exactly was going on in the house. Ibeth didn't know if it meant Klaus was already dead or still alive.

Elijah reached for the handle, and found himself unable to make contact with the door. Freya extended her hands outward, starting to chant, "Repo oma dal most. Repo oma dal most. Repo oma dal most—" she gasped as her nose started to bleed.

"Need a hand?" offered Elijah. Freya took it, then held onto Hayley as she appeared on the other side. Ibeth put her own hand on Hayley's shoulders, hoping her power could also flow through and be sufficient to overpower it.