Chapter 17

Klaus observed them silently.

The wolves were not oblivious to their screaming match the night before. Everyone knew what was actually going on, but no one questioned Ibeth when she said that for their safety, they were returning to the Bayou. She would accompany them to make sure they were not unguarded if the fight came to them.

Nick and several others glared at Klaus as they carried their things out to the trucks waiting to take them back to the Bayou. He said nothing, merely gritted his teeth and kept his eyes on Ibeth while she led everyone out. She didn't glance up at him before leaving.

She didn't bother to communicate much with the Mikaelsons for the next few days. Elijah, Freya, and Rebekah often asked how she was doing. She responded honestly and in few sentences. The move had been stressful, but already she felt better sharing a cabin with Jackson and getting to see her grandmother whenever she wanted. Hayley came by with Hope every day, which meant she got updates about the prophecy situation without actually having to be in the city. Davina, apparently, had asked Hayley for her protection as tensions mounted with the witches. Ibeth was surprised to hear this. She only ever drove by when she was taking Nick to school and picking him up. Sometimes she stayed for a short while to visit Vincent and Cami. The city's drama had stopped reaching her ears.

Klaus hadn't texted, hadn't called, and certainly hadn't come by to see her. She liked it better that way, despite all the comments the wolves made, wondering what would happen now. She didn't let it bother her much. Better she know nothing about Klaus and whatever he might or might not be doing with Aurora. It kept her sane to be unaware.

Even with just few days in the Bayou, she felt better. It certainly wasn't up to par with the luxury she'd grown accustomed to in the Compound, but it did wonders to be surrounded by the wolves who sang by the campfire. To have her grandmother drop by and braid her hair before training sessions. Jackson was always good company, and the children were thrilled to have her constantly there, where they could climb all over her and talk her ear off about school.

"You really don't have to keep making all my favorite foods for dinner every night!" said Ibeth as her grandmother leaned over to kiss her cheek while setting down a steaming plate of barbecue ribs.

"Well, you're hardly here anymore!" said Mary. "I hadn't gotten to cook for you in awhile, let me make you something special at least for this first week. Any word from that Devil?"

"No," said Ibeth, starting to eat once she and Jackson sat, too. "Thankfully. Where are we on our research? Because I've already spoken with Cami and looked at everything her uncle has on werewolves, and there's nothing certain there."

"Nothing on my end," said Jackson. "Ansel didn't tell me anything else and I can't really make assumptions based on what he did tell me that's in the journal."

"I'm still waiting to hear back from some Elders in other packs that have records about this sort of thing," said Mary. "You remember, many Alphas wanted to come and bow down to you but it just didn't happen when they found out you were marrying Klaus. Hopefully somebody out there knows something."

Ibeth rubbed her chin. "I really just need to know for certain. Like, did getting married really seal the deal and ensure this blessing will never be removed? Is it secure? Or will it go away if I step down, or if I die, or Klaus dies? I know this probably will last much longer considering it was done for the sake of evolution but I just really want to know for certain what it is that holds it in place. What restrictions there are, exceptions, all that..."

"But why are you so desperate to know?" asked Mary cautiously. "Is it because you fear he's gonna kill you? Because of the potential cheating?"

She shrugged. "Partially. Mostly because I think it's time for a change in leadership."