Chapter 4

CHAPTER FOUR

The following day, I have work. Needless to say, I am not happy about this predicament. But, I need to bring the money in somehow and sitting on my butt was not to going to make that happen. Trust me; I learned the hard way when the electricity had been cut off.

Something I never wanted to happen again.

I shimmied into my black pencil skirt and zipped it up at the back while tucking in my navy blue button up blouse into it. I pulled my hair into a tight bun before slipping on my black heels. I grabbed my handbag and made my way down the stairs for something to eat.

After I make coffee I grab a granola bar and make my way out of the house with my handbag on my left shoulder and my travel mug in my right hand.

As my mother pulled up, I quickly made my way to her car. Not hesitating to get in as I close the door behind me. But before I can open my mouth, she gives me a look.

The look I've been dreading for a while now.

"No" I state while putting on my seatbelt

"Look, honey, I think it's time" She says turning around to face me. "It's not like I'm asking you to get into a relationship with someone"

I sigh. "I know but I don't think I need a car right now"

"Sweetie, as much as I love driving you around to wherever you want to go, I won't be able to be your chauffeur forever" She states touching my face

"I know but-"

"No buts" She cuts me off. "We'll go car shopping after your work and I don't want to hear any protests."

I nod as she drives off my mind already lost. I wasn't ready for this, just not yet but I guess it has been too long overdue. I couldn't remain in one place forever. But, still, I wish I could. Maybe I could freeze time and never have to get a stupid car. But, no matter how much I wanted to there was always a bottom line.

It was time for me to move on.

And even though no has spoken of it, I know their all thinking about it.

"I'll pick you up later, bye, love you" She says pulling up to the building that I work at

"Love you too, Mom" I state before hopping out and making my way to the entrance.

I keep my head straight up and nod and mumble morning to the people that past by me no doubt giving me a look. Once in the elevator I let out a sigh and wait patiently for it to go to my floor. It makes a few stops and people file in and I step out of their way and bite my lip wondering why I had to be situated on the top floor.

My prayers are answered and I push through the people to get to my destination but I haven't gone quite unnoticed.

"Hey, Nova" A voice shouts and I know exactly who it is.

Ethan Lewinsky.

A sigh leaves my lips as I turn around. "Yes" I mutter unenthusiastically

"I was wondering if we-"

"No, sorry, I'm afraid I won't be able to" I say cutting him off and adding a sigh for effect.

It was always the same thing. He'll ask me out, I'll shoot him down and he sees this as an opportunity to start all over again the next day. Hence the reason I never even let him finish his sentence. Because what was the use of him asking when I knew what it was.