Chapter 5

AN: Another eventful week T.T Hope you enjoy reading and do let me know what you think!

-

Chapter 5:

Drayce had always wanted to visit the museum, being a treasure hunter and all. It was just a shame about the circumstances. Still, it was a great excuse for him to poke his nose around and maybe check out the little nook and crannies that the public never saw.

Of course, the mission came first. And it was indeed an intriguing one.

Stepping out of the carriage, Drayce immediately noted the myriad of guards that were loitering around the grounds of a tall, grey-stoned building. The structure itself appeared sturdy; four stories tall with stained glass windows adorning the second floor. The entrance was a set of swinging wooden doors, of which were wide open. And a top of the stone steps that led from the courtyard to the terrace was a figure dressed top to toe in black armour.

And Drayce immediately recognised him.

"Hey, Egar," Drayce greeted as he climbed the steps. "You in on this, too?"

Egar turned in his direction, and though a large black helmet sat atop of his head, it felt as though the man had his full gaze upon him. "Ah, Drayce. I assume Prince Ramus sent you?"

"That's right." He patted his chest pocket. "Have his signature on a permit and all. He wants me to focus in on this cauldron. You here to investigate the robbery?"

"Indeed," Egar replied as he folded his bulky arms across his chest. He didn't ask to see the permit, however. "From what I have seen, this is not something those bandits are capable of."

Not the bandits? Hopefully that was true. Drayce did not want to have to deal with that Keane...jerk so soon. He'd like to never deal with him again, honestly. There was something, no everything about him that made Drayce's skin crawl.

"I'll have guards keep patrolling the area," Egar continued as he stepped to the side, opening the way to the gallery of the museum. "Head on in and start your work. At least Ramus sent someone capable."

Drayce blinked. Had he heard right? Was that a compliment from the ol' guildmaster himself? Well, he had better ensure that he did a good job!

The chaos of the theft still lingered inside the museum, which was hardly a surprise. A small band of guards were dotted throughout the visitors' foyer. An earthlain with short brown hair, of which he was constantly running his hands through, paced back and forth on a short path in the centre of the gallery. He was dressed simply and appeared to be just a few years older than Drayce himself.

As he turned to continue his pacing, he lifted his gaze idly in Drayce's direction. And did a double take.

"Are you from the Council Hall?" the man asked as he hurried toward him.

"That's right." Drayce pulled out the permit from his jacket. "Here on the behalf of Prince Ramus."

The man, who had quite vivid green eyes only regarded the permit for just a moment before he sighed in sheer relief. And quickly returned to raking his fingers skittishly through his hair. "Oh, thank goodness. I'm Finan, the curator of this museum. This whole day has been one trauma after the other, it seems. And I've only been on the job for five days..."

Drayce hid a wince. Wow, just five days and he endured a brazen robbery. Though, he could empathise with the guy. There was nothing quite like the feeling of bewilderment after being thrown into the deep end, as it were.

"The name's Drayce. I'm here to help in the investigation of the cauldron. But I'm more than willing to help you in any way possible. Can you walk me through what happened?"