Chapter 9

AN: A long chapter as a Christmas present from me to you~ Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, dear readers! Hope you have a wonderful day!

-

Chapter 9:

The sun had well and truly set as Drayce stumbled up the steps and onto the front landing. As he had previously stated, Zohar had returned to the cemetery, to continue his duties as a necromancer. Drayce didn't like the idea of him being out there, alone. True, he had his wraiths. But he was still alone.

He was always doing things on his own.

Drayce could only hope that maybe Kyrell could help ease some of his burdens.

As Drayce approached the front doors, one flung open suddenly and Faelen appeared before him. Drayce felt a twinge of concern upon seeing him, noting the almost frantic expression upon his face. But the young rover smiled broadly with relief and by using the door as leverage, sprung forward and immediately wrapped his arms around Drayce's waist and pressed his face against his chest.

"You're back!"

Drayce smiled gently as he wrapped an arm around Faelen in return, hugging him tightly as it was clear that he needed it. "Hey. You doing ok?"

Faelen kept his face pressed against Drayce's chest as he nodded his head. "It was hard, though. I...didn't know what was going on. All I could hear was the panicked yells of others."

Yeah. He could imagine how difficult that was.

Drayce raked his fingers through Faelen's hair. He was quite the hypocrite, wasn't he? Zohar didn't want him to see and experience the horrors that came with necromancy. He was protective of him. As protective as Drayce was toward Faelen.

It was all because he cared.

"Is it over?"

"Yeah, Fae, it's over."

For the time being.

"Drayce." Ashton stepped through the door and immediately began to circle him, instinctively inspecting for any injuries. "Are you all right?"

Faelen finally lifted his face from Drayce's chest, and with Ashton, the two began to pull him inside. "Yeah, I'm good. Just a little tired. Is everyone ok?"

"Run a little ragged, but otherwise fine," Ashton answered, shutting and locking the door behind them.

Drayce rested his cannon against the wall and shrugged off his jacket. "No one was physically harmed?"

"No, everyone is safe."

Good. That was a huge relief. A weight lifted from his shoulders. All he needed to worry about now was Zohar overworking himself.

"Take a seat," Ashton suggested as he took his coat from him and hung it up on the clothing rack located in the front foyer. "I'll go get you something to eat and drink."

Now that he mentioned it, Drayce was pretty hungry. He hoped the others who were out in the thick of it had gotten something to eat as well. "Sounds good."

"Come on," Faelen urged as he grasped his left wrist with both of his hands and tugged him toward the next room.

Drayce allowed Faelen to pull him into the front seating room, of which was already occupied. By the burning fireplace was Blayke, sat upon a chair, leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. In front of him, sat upon the rug was Caelem in a cross-legged position, in the careful process of cleaning the Shining Lotus. And upon the three-seater was Kamali, resting back with an icy drink resting in his hands.