vii

111 AC

SIX MOONS LATER

"I know that when you came to work for the capitol I assured you that you'd be the Kingsguard for my heir, but now that a spot has cleared on mine, I wanted to offer you a position. It seems Rhaenyra has taken a liking to you."

Jessica stood in the room before the court members as Rhaenyra filled their cups. "Rhaenyra." Her father calls, making her look up from the pitcher of wine.

"Do you vouch for Ser Jessica?" He asks, making the girl nod silently. "Yes." Jessica smiles to herself as they share a look at one another.

"I do accept your invitation, your Grace. Although, Ser Harrold and Otto have brought many fine men to fill the spot. Would it be fair to them?"

The doors to the room burst open, and Jessica moved to the side as she noticed Lord Corlys Velaryon move in at a fast pace. "Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner." He starts.

Jessica sighs and backs away to the wall near Rhaenyra. "The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business." He says.

"If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys-"

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men."

"The Crown will compensate you for your ship and crew and make an offering to the men's families."

"I don't want compensation." He speaks firmly before looking at the King. "I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder."

"I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities."

"The pirates are not the Free Cities."

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?"

"In all of its history, my Lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities. Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable." Jessica listened intently to the situation. It was true that the Crabfeeder gained from working with Free City nations like hers.

War would be a terrible solution.

"What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us? The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his gold cloaks. Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from the Crown."

"I'll caution you, Lord Corlys, a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal," Otto says with a cautionary tone. Corlys smiles as he threateningly prances toward him.

"I have acted, Corlys," Viserys calls out. "I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find a common cause. I've also had Ser Jessica personally reach out to her own family that resides in the Free Cities as rulers, and I'm sure we'll hear back soon." Corlys' gaze finds Jessica's as she focuses her gaze elsewhere.

"Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled in time."

Jessica shares a look with Rhaenyra, who turns around. "You have Dragonriders, father." Everyone turns to her, surprised at her speaking up. "Send us."
Viserys chuckles. "It isn't that simple, Rhaenyra."

"It would be a show of force."

"At least the princess has a plan," Corlys says with satisfaction. "I only mean that we should at least-"

"Perhaps, there's some better use of the Princess's talents, Your Grace." Jessica frowns, her eyes locked on the back of Rhaenyra's head as she watches the girl shrink at Otto's words. "Ser Jessica." The King speaks.

"I know you seemed very willing to let someone else take this position on the Kingsguard, but I want you to take the spot despite Ser Otto's arrangements. If Rhaenyra trusts you, then I do as well. You will be sworn to her."

Jessica knew Rhaenrya was upset about her father casting her aside, but she still waited for Rhaenyra to look at her. "As you wish, Your Grace." Viserys smiles.

"You can send your candidates away, Ser Otto." He looks back at Jessica. "If you wouldn't mind escorting her out." Jessica nods, and Rhaenyra doesn't wait before storming out of the room with the taller girl on her heels.

Rhaenyra continues to move ahead of her, and the redhead sighs until she is by her side.

"Are you alright?" The princess scoffs as she continues to ignore Jessica. "I never wanted this." She mutters. "He never lets me make my own decisions, and he won't let me choose someone to protect me." Jessica's steps falter.

"Do you not want me?" She asks with a frown, and Rhaenyra sighs as she stops walking. "It's not that, Jessica. I'm sorry. I just feel hopeless." She pouts. "I'm sorry, Rhaenyra," Jessica responds, making the princess roll her eyes.

"You didn't do anything wrong." She continues to walk forward. "Now that you are sworn to me, I beg you to apologize less. No, I demand it." She smirks, watching Jessica catch up with her. "I apologize, Your Grace." The girl responds before placing her face in her hands. "Sorry. Fuck!" Rhaenyra laughs at her frustration.

"Off to the Godswood, my sworn protector." She smiles, leading Jessica away. As the two approached the Godswood, Rhaenyra couldn't help but feel better now that she had an excuse to be with Jessica all the time.

During the first several months after her mother's passing, she spent nights in Jessica's room to find comfort. She also didn't mind watching Jessica return from her exercises dripping in sweat. That was something she came to love. Jessica was oblivious to Rhaenyra's preying eyes and heated looks.

Someone would say she's objectifying Jessica, but she simply liked to observe. She was observing her now. Although she had on her full armor, her red locks flowed across her shoulders as she stood before a tree and watches Rhaenyra sit.

"You know that now you have to watch outside my room, right?" Jessica nods. "Of course, it comes with the job, and I don't mind it."

"You're always so positive. Does it get tiring?" The princess asks with a smirk, making Jessica frown.

"What do you mean?" She asks. "I don't know. I want to hate everything. Unfortunately, you and Alicent refuse to let me do so." Rhaenyra smiles. "Well, I'd hate you to wallow and drive yourself insane. I've fallen that hole before."

Before Rhaenyra can ask her to elaborate, she can hear Alicent calling out for her. "Hello, Alicent." 

Jessica greets, and she looks over at Rhaenyra.

"It seems you were looking for her, and although I am meant to be with you at all times, I do have to see the Lord Commander." Rhaenyra falters but nods as she lets Alicent take her away.