xxi

Rhaenyra could feel it cracking, Jessica's resolve.

It had been ten years since the wedding, and yet, this was the most they'd spoken since then. Her loyalty to the Greens felt shaky as of late. But there was one thing Rhaenyra didn't understand.

Jessica owed Alicent her life, literally.

When she'd killed her distant cousin, she was labeled a kin slayer. Violence in front of the King was also something highly permitted, and would result in death if he were to not be inciting it.

Unfortunately for the men who wanted Jessica out of the castle, Alicent was good at goading Viserys. The man wasn't particularly hard to convince or sway.

"She is a woman, husband. She acted upon her feelings, you do not understand that."

And, at the time, Alicent needed a friend.

Her hatred and disdain for Rhaenyra matched Jessica's, and it was rare she had something in common with someone around here. And though as the years go by, it has been less about friendship and more about using Jessica, Alicent was the only constant in Jessica's life now.

So, she felt she owed her for it. Alicent used that well. Jessica was an emotional creature, a literal ball of emotion. She could never control herself or her thoughts, and yet all she thought was, would Rhaenyra even take her back?

It was a thought that plagues her as she makes her rounds. "Jessie!" A young voice calls, making her sigh as her young cousin approaches. "Yes, my Lady." Reyanna smiles at Jessica, and walks forward.

"The princess requires you."

"Is it important?"

"It does not matter. If the princess requires you, you go."

"I am not sworn to her anymore, now if you would excuse me-"

"You will be in her Queensguard soon enough. You might as well get your practice." Jessica was surprised by Reyanna's fervently sharp tongue, but also not considering who raised her. "You are a thorn in my side, girl."

"Well, maybe the thorn shall drive the stick out of your arse." She turns around with her hands behind her back. "Come along." For the hundredth time since Reyanna had begun here, she's smart mouthed Jessica into silence.

She was right to believe Rhaenyra was a bad influence.

But she reluctantly (not really) follows the young girl, not noticing the look Ser Criston gives Reyanna at the door. Jessica doesn't greet the man and walks in swiftly, closing the door behind her. "You wished to speak to me, Princess?" She walks into the small space where Rhaenyra sits alone, holding baby Joffrey close as if to shield him from the world.

Jessica could hear the baby coo in her arms.

"Good morrow, Jess." Her gaze finds the knight, her purple irises piercing Jessica's red ones. The red head nods curtly and straightens her posture. "If I told you I only summoned you because I've always enjoyed your lingering, would you object?" Rhaenyra looked at her with that same bratty smirk that reminded her of their younger years.

"I am unable to object your demands, Your Grace."

"But you are sworn to the Queen."

"You are still above my station." Rhaenyra raises an eyebrow and hums. Any other day she would've expected no response, it was Jessica's go-to answer for her, but she liked that she was up for banter now. "You're right about that." She smirks.

She almost demands Jessica to swear to her just to see how much it would piss Alicent off. "Is there anything you needed from me?" Rhaenyra snaps back to reality, and she finds herself looking at Jessica's features for what feels like the first time in years.

Her eyes were a colder red than in her youth, and her red hair was paler. Her scars were less fresh and her skin was worn out. She wanted to tell Jessica to sit and just talk to her so she could watch her lips like she used to, but she figured that after this, she'd go back to Alicent and tell her every word. She knew the calm expression she kept now was one that hid her vexation.

"No, you may go." Jessica nods, trying not to sigh in annoyance of how her time was wasted. "Goodbye, Jess."

When Jessica leaves, she finds herself back in the courtyard training the Princes. Though, she was caught by Alicent beforehand, and Alicent demanded Jessica provoke Harwin. And, of course, a simple demand was not enough, but manipulation was key.

It was easy to rile the redhead up when you mention how Rhaenyra violated her virtue, and then slept with a man who didn't love her as much as Jessica.

"Aemond and Aegon, you can first watch as I work with the younger boys." The older Targaryen boys seem to back off as Jacerys and Lucerys nervously move forward. Behind them, she can see Harwin again. He was lingering.

"Ser Harwin, though I am sure the boys appreciate your company, I do not appreciate your lingering." Her hands fall to her belt as she paces. "Well, I've only come to watch." He says softly, his hands finding his own. The King looked on with curiosity as he watched Jessica's face turn to one of annoyance.

"Yes, and I'm sure you've come to see your princes in action." She says, motioning to all four boys. "Reminds me of a good father figure." She looks down and back up, noticing how Harwin's expression quickly changes. "Father figure?" She doesn't hide the smirk that rises on her features.

"Yes, you remind me of my father. How angry he'd get when someone would call us b-" She pauses and shakes her head. She chuckles softly as Harwin walks around the princes and gets into Jessica's space. "Would you mind saying that a bit louder?"

"Ser Harwin!" Ser Criston calls out as he moves a bit closer. Jessica frowns and then her eyes light up. "Oh! I said my father would get very angry when someone called my sister and I...bastards." Though she whispers the last part, Harwin is close enough to grab her shirt and shake her.

"Oh, are you upset, Ser Harwin? Don't hit me, the Princess likes my face." Harwin grunts. "I don't hit women." He seethes as his hands grip the collar of Jessica's clothes. "I'd beg to differ." She grunts as she's pushed to the ground. A chuckles leaves her lips as she sits up on her elbows. "Oh, don't be like that! Be a man! Though, I'm sure your definition is sticking it wherever you please."

Even though Criston was almost able to calm him, Harwin suddenly turns toward Jessica, launching himself toward her with a punch to the eye. "Woah!" Before he can do anymore, several men standing have surrounded Harwin, and are actively pulling him away. Despite yesterday being a better day than most, Jessica finds herself back on the side she belonged.

The lesson was inevitably cancelled as Jessica now roamed the castles corridors with a swollen right eyes. It took less than an hour or two after the King demanded the now Lord Harwin's banishment. It did not help that Viserys favored Jessica.

She soon found Larys, who was waiting for her to make her rounds, and he softly grabbed her forearm. "Well done, Ser Jessica." Jessica nods slightly and turns to him. She looks around to see if anyone is listening.

"Lord Larys, I must ask you something." The man watches her with a raised eyebrow. "If the boys were your brother's, would you not want your blood on the throne?" A smile finds the man's face and he almost laughs at her. "By Gods, Jessica, that is the smartest thing you've asked in your entire life." He gets into her space, but she doesn't move.

"If you are having second thoughts about anything, I suggest you run back to the Princess, before it gets to tough for you. We don't need your drama, your inner turmoil. You're either for or against her!" Jessica doesn't flinch as he back away, and walks down the hallway.

------

hey, y'all, i am back sort of. it took me forever to get to this chapter, and though i can't promise frequent updates, i just like to plug my own writing, so i'm going to be writing my own fantasy series on here based off a few of my ocs from this and the daenerys book.

also, i hope yall enjoy this chapter, i am attempting to write the next chapter.