xi

112 AC

"I don't want to marry Alwyn, father." Viserys looks at his daughter as the small council watches her as well. Jessica stands by the door as she watches them.

"May I ask why?"

Rhaenyra sighs, sparing a glance at Jessica. "He's a nice man, very handsome. But I am not of age, and I do not wish to marry him." The king sighs, placing his head in his hands.

"If that is what you wish, Rhaenyra-"

"It is." She can feel Jessica's eyes on her, and smiles to herself. "Then I will tell Prince Aenar of your feelings, but they shall stay until Spring's End for my nuptials." The blonde frowns at the mention, and clenches her jaw.

"Thank you, father." Viserys nods and she turns to leave but pauses. "Do you mind if I take Ser Jessica with me?" Viserys nods, and Rhaenyra smiles as she almost skips out of the room with Jessica on her tail.

"Who will you marry now, princess?"

"I wish not to think of it now, Ser Jessica." Jessica nods, and walks with her, hands behind her back. "Do you like weddings?" Rhaenyra asks, making Jessica nod.

"Very momentous affairs, Your Grace."

"How many have you been to?"

"Three." Rhaenyra hums. "I've seen none. But my first experience will not be monumentous." Jessica looks at her shrug.

"Something good could happen." Rhaenrya scoffs. "Gods willing."

"Didn't know you believed in the Gods, Your Grace," The blonde smiles as they turn a corner. "I don't."

SPRING'S END

The marriage of King Viserys and the new Queen Consort, Alicent Hightower, proceeded much to several people's dismay.

The ceremony was a beautiful affair for the occasion. People noticed how Alicent looked everywhere but Viserys during the ceremony.

Some say her eyes wandered to her new stepdaughter, begging her for forgiveness with her gaze, and other say she watched another princess as she begged her for forgiveness.

The ceremony ended, and Rhaenyra took every chance to avoid her father and new stepmother by standing next to Jessica.

Rhaenyra was upset, Viserys was drinking himself into a stupor, and even her little cousin had been upset. Anyone who paid attention knew that the Princess of Westyra was in love with Alicent and vice versa.

The young woman still sent ravens behind the King's back, and Alicent wished she'd gotten out sooner that she hadn't let her father control her.

"This is horrible," Rhaenyra sighs as she stands next to Jessica. She looks around, noticing a young knight glaring at Jessica, but ignores it.

She turns back, miserable as she watched Brianne entertain many other women with a smile on her face. Jessica observed everything as she handled her post.

The taller girl spares the princess a glance before looking at the crowd. "I can feel the tension." She mutters, making Rhaenyra scoff.

"You should have fun. Go dance or something." Rhaenyra looks at her and chuckles. "Like Brianne is?" Jessica looks back at her cousin, noticing how carelessly she danced, and she chuckles at sight.

"Well, she was very upset earlier and drank several pitchers of wine before this. She's already loose." The blonde hums. "Ser Harwin has eyed you all night, and I think you should entertain him, Your Grace."

"And leave you here alone? I refuse."

"I think I can manage." The song being played begins to slow down, and Brianne kisses the cheek of the maiden she is dancing with as she stumbles over to her cousin and the princess. "Cousin!" She yells, making Rhaenyra cover her mouth to hide her laugh.

"Brianne. Are you alright?"

"I'm horrible. If I could, I'd toss myself in the Blackwater, drown in the shit, and piss." Jessica and Rhaenyra's eyes widen at the proclamation. "Don't do anything stupid, Brianne." The girl hums and looks over to where Alicent sits silently.

"I should ask her to dance, right? The Queen deserves a dance." Jessica notices the bitterness in her tone. "Not until you've sobered up."

"You're not my mother, Jessica."

"I'm not, but I will hurt you if you hurt her."

"She hurt me first!" Rhaenyra watches the conversation with an understanding of Brianne's feelings. But loving someone secretly and caring about them marrying someone else must have been miserable.

"At least we'll get free entertainment." She mutters, making the redhead send her a glare. She noticed onlookers and sighed as Brianne ignored Jessica and walked toward where Alicent and Viserys sat.

Jessica groans as she watches Brianne fall to her knees before Alicent, grabbing the girl's hand in hers. They watch as Alicent looks around anxiously, and Brianne rises to her feet.

The two walk onto the dance floor, and it seems like Brianne is soberer as she dances with the Queen. Rhaenyra notices how everyone is distracted and grabs Jessica's hand. "Want to get out of here?" She says, standing on her toes to whisper in the knight's ear. "I can't, but thank you for the offer."

"Tell Ser Harrold you took me to my chambers." Jessica looks at Rhaenyra, who is smirking at her, and she smiles.

The two sneak into the halls of the Keep.

It was quite as everyone was in the dining hall. They walk down the hallway, the smaller girl holding onto Jessica's hand. She looks around, pauses before softly pushing the redhead back onto a wall.

Jessica looks down at her in confusion. "Rhaenyra?"

The girl silences her with a finger and bites her lip.

"Do you know why I don't wish to get married to your cousin?"

"No." Rhaenyra had a chance now to make Jessica realize how she felt, but she examines Jessica's innocent gaze. "Do you want to know?"

"I-I guess."

"Marrying a knight was Her Grace's want, never mine. Any knight worth marrying is not worth more than you, Jessica Byrne." The redhead's breath hitches as Rhaenyra stands on her toes to lean in closer to Jessica's lips.

"Why me?" The taller girl mumbles.

"Because you've been too oblivious to notice me. Notice how I truly feel." She can feel Jessica's breathing pick up as she pulls off her gloves and helmet.

"You are better than any old knight." She smiles and nibbles on Jessica's ear, before walking away with her things, and the girl is too flustered to notice.

———

Sorry for the short chapter, but I've been busy so I'll try to write more for future chapters💁🏽‍♀️