xiv

115 AC

STORM'S END

For most of Rhaenyra's trip, she and Jessica had made the most of their time.

After those long months of touching, silent glances, and aimless flirting, Rhaenyra finally got what she believes is her reward for being patient. At night, Jessica snuck in and pleasured Rhaenyra until they were both tired.

It was bliss.

Unfortunately, Jessica would have to leave their bed to maintain the facade that she was only Rhaenyra's guard. Today was no different. "Do you have to leave?" Rhaenyra whines as Jessica slips on her boots. "I always do."

The blonde sighs and lays on her back, covering her naked body with her blanket. She watches Jessica put on her shirt, taking in the scars she ran her hands over at night. "I wish we had more than these fleeting moments." She mutters, making Jessica look at her.

"What do you mean?"

"I wish I could marry you." She says suddenly, making Jessica pause. Rhaenyra's expression doesn't change, making Jessica chuckle nervously. "I don't think-"

"I know. It was only a thought." Quickly, Jessica drops her plate armor and walks to the bed, kissing Rhaenyra on the lips. "I love you." She says as they separate, making Rhaenyra smile. "I love you, too." Jessica backs away and pulls on her shirt.

"Get dressed. Court will begin soon."

When they made it to the room where the court was held, Jessica watched as young Borros and her sister walked into the room, and she sat silently. Recently, Mikaela had been betrothed to the future Lord of Storm's End and was sent to the castle a few moons before their wedding. It was unfortunate, knowing that Mikaela wanted to become a knight but was denied the chance.

She tuned out most of the men, watching the boy whisper things in her ear, and the girl nodded uncomfortably.

"...the wall Blackhaven are unscathed vassal stone." Rhaenyra clutches her necklace as Beric Dondarrion continues his rant. "And the castle is surrounded by a deep, dry moat. It is well fortified against any future Dornish incursions." He explains with a chuckle. "And though my seat is lesser in size, it is situated most pleasingly."

Jessica watches on silently, frowning at the man. He looked older than her father, and Rhaenyra was younger than her, so it worried her. He pauses and clears his throat before walking to the pitcher for a drink. She and Rhaenyra share a look, and she tries to hide her smile.

He places the cup down and walks back to where he was once standing. "The view across the Marches is inspiring, so said Queen Alyssan herself when she honored my father and me-"

"And tell me, Lord Dondarrion, did you think my great-grandmother as beautiful as they say?" The princess asks. "This was half a century ago, Princess."

"Yes, it was." She responds, making the others of the court laugh. "That was unseemly, Princess." Lore Boremund mumbles. "The man is older than my father. It's unseemly for him to put himself forward as a contender for my hand."

"Next!" Lord Beric moves to the side, and a young boy, Willem Blackwood, steps into his place, making Rhaenyra scoff. "And now a child."

"The Blackwoods are an ancient house with a formidable army. In the Riverlands, they once ruled as kings. The blood of the First Men still flows in their veins." Boremund looks at the young boy. "Go on."

"My Princess, ours is a bond that has long endured since Lucas Blackwood, the grandsire of my grandsire, aided the Dragon in his war of conquest-"

"Aye, the Blackwoods truly turned the tide on that one." Jerrel Bracken interrupts, making the rest of the court laugh. "Coursed with the blood of the First Men, our history is deeply rooted in this land, which your house has made its home. If chosen as your match, Princess, your days shall be easy and night safe under my protection."

"Protection."? The Princess has a dragon, you dumb cunt." Bracken says, causing Boremund to scold him. "Ugh, let us have the next so we may go to supper." Willem turns around to leave. "Craven." Willem pulls out his sword as Jerrel draws his.

"We're leaving," Rhaenyra says, quickly standing up. "Sheathe that steel, you twats!"

"Send word to the harbor and have Captain Oswin ready the ship."

"Princess, we're due in Bitterbridge in three days' time." Jessica says as they continue to walk out of the room.

"I would happily row myself back to King's Landing if it brought an end to this ridiculous pageant." The crows behind them gasps as young Willem pulls his sword from Lord Bracken's chest. Jessica steps in front of Rhaenyra's view. "Don't look, Princess."

As they are ready to leave for King's Landing, Mikaela approaches her sister, but she doesn't notice until she sees Rhaenyra's smile. "Princess." She greets her with a bow. "Hello, Mikaela." In the month that Rhaenyra was in Storm's End, she was pleased to see a girl her age that wasn't a lady or Jessica.

"Please take me with you." The girl all but begs, looking at her sister. "Is Borros that bad?" Jessica asks, making Mikaela nod. "There's room on the boat, I'm sure," Rhaenyra says, and the sisters look at her. "Oh, I can't."

"I thought you wanted to leave." Mikaela chuckles. "I do, but it's too late to escape the wedding." Jessica frowns and pats her sister's shoulder. "Well, if you change your mind. I need a lady." Mikaela nods and walks back to the castle.

"Do you think I'll end up that way?" Rhaenyra asks, making Jessica look at her. "Miserable in a loveless marriage?" She asks. "Maybe, maybe not. At least you will have a choice."

Soon, they board the ship, and after a short while, Rhaenyra can see the Keep in the distance. "We should make landfall inside the hour, Princess," Jessica announces as she approaches. Rhaenyra sighs and turns to face her.

"How do you think he will take it?"

"Do you speak of how you rejected every suitor His Grace put before you or how you abruptly ended the tour with two months remaining?" She asks with a smirk. Rhaenyra doesn't answer and looks away, but the sound of a dragon shrieking catches their attention.

Jessica frowns, moving across the deck, when she notices a dragon swooping down. "Take cover!" She yells as Ceraxes flies down, causing the ship to tip over. Rhaenyra falls, hitting her head on the side of the boat. "Princess!" She runs to Rhaenyra, who stands and holds her head.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm-"

"Get the maester!" She yells, and Rhaenyra sighs. "I'm fine, Jess." She says with a sigh, watching Ceraxes fly away.

___

i'm back again for v-day! thanks for 10k reads, and i will update my rhaenyra book soon! also i'm publishing a robert's rebellion au soon so watch out for that. i hope you all have a great v day if you celebrate (i do not)