xvii

125 AC

KING'S LANDING

Rhaenyra was practically alone at the Red Keep.

Alicent had Jessica tied up by a leash after saving her from a possible execution, and the redhead gave Rhaenyra the silent treatment as a result. Thankfully, she wasn't actively feeding the young princes and princess with false truths to villainize her, but her actions were more telling than words.

And although she had Laenor, who backed the legitimacy of Jacaerys and Lucerys, and Criston, who did that and vowed to protect them, she was powerless at court. But Jessica was nowhere near the spot she was when she joined the Kingsguard. If it weren't for Alicent whispering into Viserys' ear, she would have either been sent back to Westyra without a head, or sent to the Wall to die.

Now, she was Alicent's sworn sword. It was a position she took up with convincing from Brianne, who was not on Alicent's leash, but was still in love with the Queen. But the Princess married a man, a Celtigar. And she never failed to make her presence known.

Near the Godswood, Brianne kneels before Heleana as the girl plays with her small snake.

"Do you like it?" The girl nods and smiles before looking at the older woman. "I saw something in my dreams last night." Brianne's eyes widen, and she smiles. "Did you, sweet girl? Maybe it was a sign that I was coming." She says, but the young girl shakes her head.

"It was a dragon." The older woman's eyebrow raises, and she falls on her knees to be leveled with Helaena. "It was golden and green and fighting an angel with black wings. They fell on the stones."

"The Stepstones?" She asks even though she knows Helaena has never been. The girl shakes her head. Brianne wants to press but stands up when she sees Aemond approach. "Brianne!" He yells, running over to the woman and holding her legs. She chuckles and ruffles his hair. "Hello, my Prince. Where are your mother and Aegon?"

"She is with Daeron, and Aegon is with the Septa. Is Reyanna with you?" Brianne nods, and the boy can't help himself as a smile finds his features. "She is with Ser Jessica, but is very excited to see you."

She can hear footsteps approaching but stop before her, causing her to wobble as she stands.

"Ah! Princess. It's nice to see you again." She beams, and Aemond looks away, knowing Rhaenyra won't acknowledge him. "Hello, Rhaenyra." Helaena mumbles. "Hello, Helaena," Rhaenyra says back kindly, her eyes not leaving Brianne's.

"May I ask why you're here?"

"To see the Queen and young Daeron."

"You come here quite often, Princess." Rhaenyra retorts and Brianne chuckles. "I do. As does Ser Harwin, I'm sure." She says snidely. "He is Commander of the City Watch. He is in court often." Brianne scoffs and nods. "I'm sure he occupies other places often, as your belly tells. And my cousin, of course. The fool."

"We do not speak much anymore." Brianne hums. "That's too bad. I must get going, Your Grace. Aemond takes us to your mother." Aemond grabs her hand and pulls her and Helaena away. Rhaenyra sighs and ducks her head as she finds herself alone once again.

She turns and walks down the hallway, trying to hold her breath as she thinks about Jessica. She always thinks about her. When she turns down a corridor, she sees her guarding a door as a young girl sits beside her, reading a book.

Reyanna Celtigar looked more Dornish than Valyrian. Her skin was tan, and she had long black hair that neither of her parents had. She could recall hearing words uttered about Brianne as they were uttered about her and the births of Jacerys and Lucerys, but her family was deep in Dornish blood.