ix

Within the next few days, Ser Harrold had notified some men that they were traveling to Dragonstone to bring him back and seize a stolen dragon egg. Although most men of the Kingsguard would rather die than take orders from her, she still rallied them up and had them ready to go.

Rhaenyra had other plans.

"What do you mean you're going yourself?" She asks, pausing next to the princess as she walks to grab Ser Otto. "Jess, I have to be bold. Prove to my father that I am more than his little girl." She says, almost begging Jessica to agree. "I understand, but we will take care of it."

"I doubt that. He'll saw through you like a slab of wood and rub it in my father's face."

"Why do you have little faith in me, Princess?"

"It's not you, I promise." She grabs Jessica's gloved hand, not worried about wandering eyes. Reaching under the glove, she rubs Jessica's palm with her thumb. "I understand your urgency, but we'll take care of it, and Daemon will face justice." Rhaenyra sighed, giving Jessica a look that made her look defeated, but it was a false expression that Jessica didn't catch.

"Alright. I'll stay." She wouldn't, but Jessica was too gullible not to believe her. The older girl sighs in relief and caresses Rhaenyra's wrist. "Thank you. I'll see you when I get back."

It didn't take more than a day to get to Dragonstone, and as Otto, Harrold, and Jessica stood ahead, they walked up the path to the castle as Daemon and his mistress tailed down with men behind them.

Both groups stop where they stand, and they watch as Daemon tosses the egg into her other hand. "Welcome to Dragonstone, Otto."

"Your occupation of this island is at an end. You're to relinquish the dragon's egg, disband your army, banish your whore, and leave Dragonstone by order of His Grace, King Viserys-"

"Where is the King? I don't see him." Daemon interrupts. "His Grace would never lower himself to entertain such a mummer's farce." Daemon nods with a small smirk before looking at Jessica. "Lady Jessica, it's been some time." He greets her, knowing she hates that title.

"It's Ser Jessica, my Prince. I am sure you remember. I am sure you remember when I knocked you on your ass in single combat." Daemon laughs. "Very good."

"This is a truly pathetic show, Daemon. Are you so desperate for the King's attention that you've resulted to skulking about like a common cutpurse?" Otto asks.

"I'm simply keeping with the traditions of my house," He says, making Jessica silently scoff. "The same as my brother did for his heir."

"Those traditions are for the trueborn children of royalty, not for bastards fathered on a common whore."

"Lady Mysaria is to be my wife."

"This is an abomination. With every breath, you soil your name, your house, and your brother's reign!"

"Our love does not know titles and traditions." Otto looks at the gold cloaks standing behind them. "And what of you, men of the City Watch? Aiding the Prince in his treason?!"

"The King made me their commander. They are loyal to me. You've come for the egg." He holds it out. "Here it is." Jessica nervously grabs the hilt of her sword. "Are you mad? You'd never survive this." Otto smiles.

"Well, happily, neither would you," Daemon responds, pulling the egg back to his chest. "To choose violence, here, is to declare war against your King."

"Wonderful."

"Even if it ends in the death of your unborn child and its mother?" Swords unsheath on both sides, and Jessica pulls her out, pointing it towards Daemon. The sound of heavy breathing and the flapping of wings catches everyone's attention as Daemon's dragon, Ceraxes, trails down from the castle.

It lets out a loud screech, and Jessica's eyes widen in awe. She'd only seen Syrax maybe once or twice, but this dragon was much bigger. Daemon gives them a challenging look, and Otto looks back. "Everyone sheath the fucking steel." All of the men do as told.

Under the clouds, Jessica hears more screeching, and as everyone looks, Syrax rises from the sky, making everyone but her duck in fear. She chuckles as Syrax lands behind them and shakes her head with a smile. She looks over at Rhaenyra as she dismounts Syrax and walks toward Daemon. The soldiers spread, letting her walk through as they bow.

Jessica's smile spreads wider as Rhaenyra smirks back, and she bows her head. "What are you doing here, Princess?" Otto asks.

"Preventing bloodshed." She answers. "Ser Jessica, please escort the Princess to safety." Jessica looks down at Rhaenyra, who is still watching her. The princess scoffs before moving toward Daemon. "Take care not to startle Syrax, my lords. She's rather protective of me."

"My father named me Princess of Dragonstone." She says to Daemon in Valaryian. "That is my castle you're living in, uncle."

"Not until you come of age."

"You have angered your king."

"I don't see why. This is a day of celebration. I am to be wed."

"You already have a wife."

"Not one of my choosing." Rhaenyra scoffs and clicks her tongue. "And this required you to steal my brother's egg?"

"You shared your cradle with a dragon when you were born. I want the same for my child."

"You're to have a child?" She asks, making him look back at Mysaria. "One day." This causes the woman turns and leave toward the castle. "I am right here, Uncle, the object of your ire, the reason you were disinherited. If you wish to be restored as heir, you'll need to kill me. So do it, and be done with all this bother." Jessica frowns, not knowing if Rhaenyra is serious.

Daemon stares at her and then at Otto. He sighs, walking toward Dragonstone as he tosses her the egg. Rhaenyra smiles and walks back to place the egg in a cauldron. The princess looks back at Jessica with a smile before mounting Syrax and flying off.

When she returned to the castle, she ran into Rhaenyra, and the princess excitedly tapped her armor. "My father was very proud of me." She smiles.

"I'm very proud of you." She watches as Rhaenyra messes with her gloves. "Why do you wear gloves?" She asks randomly. "I wear them as you wear them to ride Syrax for good grip. I also have the shakes, and my hands were hurting due to training without when I was younger, and now my hands get stiff."

"I like your stiff hands." She says as she subconsciously rubs the palm of Jessica's hand.

When the princess touched Ser Jessica Byrne's palm, it was as though she was feeling the center of the world. Her world. And it wasn't for years that Jessica began to do the same, but it was a secret amongst eventual lovers.

"Thank you. No one has ever said that before."

"Well, I'm glad to be the first." Jessica chuckles, and Rhaenyra lets go of her hand and walk to her chambers. The redhead watches her silently, and though she was meant to follow her, Jessica lingers. Silently, she removes her glove completely and doesn't know what comes over her as she places her lips on the palm Rhaenyra rubbed.

After a second of separation, she snaps out of it and shakes her head before following the Princess.