Train

Below Zelda's perch on the bridge overlooking the training yard, she could see Link fit right in with all the other knights. He slashed and dodged, climbed and ran, defended and attacked just a perfectly as all the others. Maybe even better. It was no wonder he was the Hero.

It had been many years since he last used a sword up until three months ago, when he courageously agreed to fight the evil Ganondorf. He quickly picked up the practice, defeating the vile monster. However, the battle was not an easy one. He literally gave up his life just to end Ganondorf. Yet despite all his efforts, he mearly wounded him. Right after, Zelda's power awoken, and she finished the job with the help of Groose. Somehow, he was able to gain some of Ganondorf's power, using it to their advantage. No one had time to question it when, miraculously, a Zora by the name of Mipha helped save Link from the dark hold of death, brining him back. It was a long and gruesome recovery, but he did it. The only signs indicating his brutal trials were the long black scar running up his left arm and a subtle limp in his right leg. Multiple times he had assured Zelda the limp was only a temporary thing. He would soon recover completely.

After the traumatic events of that battle, Zelda asked Mipha to be the head doctor at Hyrule Castle. The Zora turned down the offer, saying she couldn't fill such a high position. After much urging, Mipha finally agreed to at least be a doctor in the castle. Zelda didn't think it was a well enough title for the astounding girl, but she couldn't complain. Never has one of her patients left unwell.

Aryll and Link were both given private quarters in the castle, as well as Groose. However, when anything concerning Groose's past was questioned, he would make a snarky remark, say he didn't know anything, and storm off to his room. In other words, he has been unapproachable for the last three months. Zelda wished to change that soon.

Then there was the 10,000 rupees Ganondorf stole. No sign of the money has been made, though countless detectives were on the case. It seemed it had just disappeared.

Shouts sounded from the training yard, snapping the princess from her wondering mind. Below, the whole lot of knights swarmed in a circle, cheering and yelling bets. The captain, wearing a smug grin, stood ready to fight in the middle. Link, who held no shield, was his opponent. He, on the other hand, was relaxed and straight-faced. More often than not, the bets would be placed on the captain. Zelda bet everything she had on Link.

Suddenly, the captain lunged, aiming for Link's feet. He jumped, moving a few steps back. He rolled the training sword in his hand to losen his wrist, waiting like a lion would for its prey.

The captain nodded, wanting Link to take the next swing. Only Zelda could see the small smirk on Link's face, even from the distance she was at. In a blur, Link spun, purposefully connecting his blade to the captain's shield. The captain thrust his sword, but Link easily dodged, kicking the captain's hand. His blade fell from his grip. Quickly, Link caught the flying sword in his right hand, using it to point at the captain's heart. The crowd hushed. Zelda smirked.

The captain held his hands up in surrender. Link changed his grip on the sword, holding it out for the him. When the captain reached for it, Link pulled his arm back. He said something Zelda couldn't make out. The captain shook his head, wagging a finger. He held his hand out, and Link accepted the shake before giving him his sword back.

Ah, so the captain was going to trick Link into being vulnerable for an attack. But Link sensed it and made the handshake promising peace. Smart.

"Isn't he wonderful?"

Zelda jumped, turning to find Aryll leaning against the wall. She didn't realize the beaming girl had joined her.

"Yes," Zelda agreed as she watched the captain clap Link on the back. "He seems at home."

"We haven't had one for so long."

Zelda cocked her head in confusion.

"A home," Aryll clarified. "Thank you for giving us one."

Not sure what to say to that, Zelda pulled Aryll into a hug. She had become something like a sister in the past three months.

"Can I watch you practice today?" Aryll asked.

"I don't see why not."

That was another thing that changed. After a week of relaxation, training hours were squished into Zelda's schedule. Evey day, she would practice her power with Impa in the sparring room. Zelda hadn't been able to do much more than make a few sparks of light, but she felt she was improving, even if it was very, very slowly.

Wrapping an arm around Aryll, Zelda led her through the halls to the sparring room. None of the knights were allowed to be there during her training hours, wich she was grateful for. She didn't want them to see her frustration or her pathetic hold on her power.

Impa was already there, setting up the targets even though she knew Zelda wouldn't control her magic long enough to shoot them. Aryll moved to sit in the corner, legs bouncing in anticipation. They paused for a second.

"Isn't Groose supposed to be here, too?" she asked.

"Yes," Zelda sighed. He was supposed to be there, practicing his newfound power as well. Instead he locked himself away in his room, only coming out for food. However, when the subject of his power would come up, he would gloat and praise his abilities, yet never actually show them or train. It was getting on everyone's nerves.

"Stretches," said Impa.

With a huff, Zelda lowerd herself to the floor and began to loosen her tight muscles. She didn't understand how this would help her control her power, but she did it anyway, bending to reach her toes, then pulling her arms a certain way to stretch her back. She flexed her fingers and rolled her neck, all the while doing the breathing exercises Impa taught her.

When they finally got to the practice part, Zelda quickly became flustered. She couldn't do anything. She couldn't levitate, hold light in her hands, or any of the things she did during that battle. It was all gone.

"You've got it," Aryll encouraged from the sidelines.

"Focus," Impa said.

Zelda clenched her jaw, trying to push the light energy to her hands. She focused. That's all she did - focus. That's all anyone expected. And they expected results from it, but nothing happened. Only a few pathetic sparks sizzled from her fingertips, dying in the air. She grunted, not giving up. She closed her eyes and used everything she had to make something other than sparks appear. Her finger twitched once, welcoming the surge of power.

"Open your eyes," Impa said.

Peeling her eyes open, Zelda caught a glimpse of a golden ball before it burst and perished. She sighed, content with the small improvement, although it wasn't enough. If she wished to aid in the defeat of Ghirahim, she would have to do much more than create a glowing ball for two seconds. She had to keep telling herself that she would get there. That it wasn't a futile effort.

"Again," Impa ordered. "Focus."

Oh, how Zelda had come to despise those words.