Protect

Following Zelda through the darkness, Link used the stick to avoid rocks or fallen branches. As they crossed what he assumed was the bridge - by the spray of water splashing over creaking boards, it was his first guess - Nabooru's voice came closer.

"Where have you been?" she boomed.

"Sorry, Nabooru," Zelda said, hugging herself as a cold gust of wind shot rain at her. "We lost track of time."

"Don't bother." She rushed to their side, holding bed sheets above their heads in a futile attempt to block the rain. "The paragliders are stuffed in packs and I have climbing gear to help us scale the tower."

"How did you manage that?"

Nabooru smirked. "If I tell you, you won't arrest me, right?"

"Nabooru!"

She laughed. "I'm messing with you. I traded for something they wanted. Or did I?"

"Well, no matter," Zelda said, a sly smile of her own over her face. "You'll just give their things back, whoever you stole it from."

"Ugh. You're no fun."

"Hey, you're back!" Groose called, leading their horses to them. "Why don't you ever spend time with me, like you do with Link here? Huh? I want some alone time, so why don't I get it?"

Zelda pursed her lips, containing her annoyance just by thinking of the deep conversation she shared with Link. She pulled a horse closer, helping Link up first. Everything they would need was already strapped in the saddlebags, prepared for the next crazy task.

"Are ya gonna answer me?" Groose asked, hair drooping from the rain. He pushed it back up, only for it to fall again.

"I don't think I will," Zelda said, hopping up in front of Link.

"You don't think you'll answer me?" Groose continued his banter, mounting his horse.

"No, that was my answer."

Gasping, Groose dropped his jaw and held a hand to his chest. Zelda laughed at his appalled look, kicking her horse's flanks. Groose grumbled after her, saying something about having better qualities than Link.

The rain continued to pour as the group made their way along the forest trail. Link wrapped his arms around Zelda's waist, listening to the sounds around him. He had come to rely on all other senses than his sight, trying to get a feel of his surroundings. He did miss the vibrant colors of the world, but he couldn't focus on that. If he did, he felt as if he would break down into the sadness and the hole inside of him.

However, he had Zelda now. She would help him, as she had already done. She was a light in the darkness pressing around him. Maybe he would take her up on the offer to stay at Hyrule Castle. At least there he and Aryll would be safe and content.

Before long, the the group stopped at the edge of the woods. Zelda helped Link down, biting her lip. She didn't want to leave him on the ground, mad at everyone for holding him back, as she climbed. But she had to. She had to protect him.

"Are we at the tower?" he asked, leaning against his stick.

"Yes, we are," Zelda whispered. "Link-"

"Wait." He jolted upright, brow creasing. "What did Ganondorf start?"

Zelda and Groose looked at him in confusion. However, Nabooru took a step back. She knew what he was talking about, but she didn't want to say the answer. She felt like if she said it, it would come true. And it was the last thing she wanted to happen.

"Nabooru," Link said in a demanding tone. "I remember you saying Ganondorf started something. You were going to help Ghirahim with it. What was it?"

Zelda and Groose turned to face her, waiting for her answer.