Departure

Zelda sat across the long table from her father. Aryll claimed the seat to her right, and next to her was Link. Evey now and then, he would dine with them, but most days he didn't. He said it was important to stay in the knight's barracks, to train where they did. Rest where they did. Eat where they did. He said it strengthened bonds and applied discipline. But tonight was different. It was their last night at Hyrule Castle.

Tomorrow, before high noon, Zelda, Link, and Groose would depart for the Gerudo Highlands in hopes of uncovering Groose's past. Although, Zelda wasn't sure if Groose would be coming. He wasn't even at dinner most of the time, and when he was, he would gloat and mock Link. Rhoam- everyone - disliked his company. And even so, the King only ever talked about politics and statistics over the meal. Tonight, he sat quietly and firmly on the far side of the table, not saying a word.

As the second course came, Zelda smoothed the folds of her skirt. She missed the leggings and tunics she wore during her training sessions. How they gave her room to move. How she didn't have to worry about tripping over flowing skirts. By tomorrow, that's all she would be wearing - pants and shirts. She smiled.

"Thank you," she whispered to the passing servant. Link and Aryll mumbled their thanks as well.

"I trust you are ready for your departure tomorrow," the King said, breaking the awkward silence. He didn't look up from the steak he was cutting.

"Yes, sir," Link responded in a calm voice.

"We are well prepared," Zelda added.

"Will Groose be going with you?" Rhoam asked. "I don't. . . think it wise to leave without him."

"Oh, he's comin'," Aryll chimed. "He's done mopin' and brooding and sittin' on his butt. I will personally drag him out of the castle if it comes to that."

Link and Zelda smiled down at the energetic girl bouncing in her seat. Rhoam glanced scoldingly at her, and they all quickly snuffed out their grins. Link had to cover his mouth to hide the amused turn of his lips. To cover up the small laugh, he pretended to cough into his fist. Zelda smiled at the sight of him.

He had changed so much since his fight with Ganondorf. Before, he was a scrawny boy with anger issues and an overarching instinct to protect his sister at all costs. Now, he had more muscle to him. He looked much more healthy, Aryll too. He smiled more often and was happy. He still had the urge to protect his sister, but it wasn't as immediate. He knew they were both safe.

Another thing, he no longer belonged to Ghirahim. The first thing Zelda did after he woke up was change their guardianship records. Even though they did not have a mother or a father, they were wards of the castle. They were free. When Zelda told him, Link wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her in a tight, ever thankful hug. Aryll joined the embrace, joyful tears streaming down her cheeks. Zelda had beamed and returned the hug. Her heart had fluttered in her chest, and she pulled herself closer, breathing him in. When Link had pulled away, he had tears in his eyes as well. Zelda didn't realize she had joined into the crying fest until she heard his sincere "Thank you" and his hand came up to wipe away the escaped droplet. Link had pulled Aryll close, spinning her in the air. Aryll laughed and squealed, wrapping herself around her brother.

Zelda had felt the love and complete joy pulsing off them. Every time she though of that moment, her heart warmed, a smile inched along her face, and she wanted to kiss Link. She was embarrassed to admit it to herself, but it was true. She loved him, and not because he was the Chosen Hero, but because of the person he was.

__________

The sun illuminated her room, bouncing off the elegant bed posts and carved desks. Zelda felt herself warm with its brilliant rays, reflecting the cheery sight. She quickly pulled on her travel cloths and swung the satchel over her shoulder. Everything she would need for the trip was either inside the bag or waiting down by the stables. She merrily bounced on her toes in anticipation for an entire adventure with Link. She couldn't wait.