Path

It took a lot of convincing to get Link to eat something. All he wanted to do was take action and save his sister, but he needed fuel.

Zelda sat down next to him, setting a plate in his lap. She led his hands to the food, wondering how he would learn to change his way of life. Without his sight, he wouldn't be able to do much on his own. He would have to have constant help, whether he liked it or not.

And Zelda was completely willing to be his eyes. To guide him anywhere.

Silently, she ate with him, helping him whenever he fumbled. She could tell by the way he tried to do everything himself that he didn't want her help, but accepted it nonetheless when she gently guided his hand.

"Princess."

Nabooru's stern voice made Zelda jump. "Yes?"

Nabooru cocked her head, signaling she wanted to talk elsewhere.

Nodding, Zelda lightly squeezed Link's shoulder. "I'll be right back."

He didn't say or do anything in reply, which, Zelda guessed, was his way of saying he didn't need the constant help.

Sighing, Zelda followed Nabooru to the side of the stable. The Gerudo flicked a hand toward Groose as they passed.

"You too."

Groaning in irritation, Groose turned on his heels, following them as he finished his lunch.

"Let's start with the obvious," Nabooru said, a little quieter than her usual booming vioce. "Link is in no position to fight. He can't see, he doesn't remember how to wield a sword, and he is still weak."

Glancing back at him, Zelda stifled a sigh. She knew Nabooru was right, but she couldn't let her downgrade Link that easily.

"I've seen him do it before," Zelda said.

"Do what?"

"Fight after being tortured to the near point of death, after not holding a sword for years. He is determined and strong, and that's what keeps him going. We cannot deny him his right to fight."

"I wish I could say the same, but if he does fight, he will be hurt worse. I don't think you want that, do you?"

Zelda deflated. She couldn't argue with her logic. "No."

"That's what I thought. We have to keep Link away from Ghirahim and, ultimately, the tower. We can give him a fake mission while I-"

"You mean to say that we lie to him?" Zelda's eyes widened.

"How else will he stay out of the way?" That was the first Groose had spoken in this conversation, and Zelda didn't particularly like his wording. "I agree with Mom."

"Well, we can't just - Wait. Mom?" Now Zelda was completely lost. She glanced back and forth between Nabooru and Groose, trying to make sense of what Groose just said.

"Yes, he is my son. It's a long story," Nabooru added.

"My father kidnapped me when I was a baby and sold me to Ghirahim because he thought I was Ganondorf, but he's my half-brother," Groose summed up in one sentence.

"I guess it's not so long," Nabooru muttered. "But that's beside the point. So, the plan."

Zelda blinked, barely registering the change of subject. You can't just drop something like Oh yeah, she's my long-lost mom and expect someone to just brush it aside. Nonetheless, that's what they did. They had more pressing matters to attend to.

"Princess and I will go up the tower."

"What about me?" Groose whined.

Nabooru sighed, annoyed how she couldn't get two sentences out before she was interrupted. "You will be with Link on the ground. Your job is to distract him."