Remember

The birds chirped outside, a warm breeze swept through the room. Link groaned, raking his hand over his face. Why did everything hurt? Why was he so sore? Why were there little ridges running up and down his face?

Removing his hands, Link sat up in bed. How was is still so dark that he couldn't see anything? With a moan of pain, he stood. What did he do the day before to aquire such sores? Fumbling around his room, he searched for the door. His mother would be wondering where he was. She always waited for him to cook breakfast together.

As Link stumbled around, he found the doorframe. Another breeze swept through his hair. Was he outside? How did he get there? How come he still couldn't see anything?

Voices mumbled something to his left. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. Something about their tone made his stomach churn.

"-was acting strange," someone with an accent said.

"Strange how?" a stern voice replied.

"He kept asking about his mother and father, but their both dead," the first voice went on. "Have been for four years."

"Memory loss can come from a concussion."

"Those four years, all gone from his mind?" The accent sounded confused. "How could anyone possibly forget something like that? He was constantly tortured and beaten."

"Then it's my guess he'll be happier without those memories."

"Yes, but-" The voice broke off into a gasp. "Oh, Link! What are you doing up? You need to rest."

Soft hands fell onto his arms, gently guiding him back inside. He couldn't see who was touching him, but it definitely wasn't his mother.

Link tired to squirm away, but lightheadedness took him over. "Who are you?" he managed to ask.

"Can't you see me?" the accent asked.

"No, it's too dark out."

They stopped. Link felt the girl move to stand in front of him.

"Link, it's almost high noon. There are no clouds. Can't you see me?"

"I can't see anything. Who are you?"

The girl took his hands, holding them in hers. "It's me, Link. Zelda. Don't you remember me? Can't you see me?" She tilted his head down, trying to make him focus his wondering eyes on her, but he stared right through her. His eyes were glassy while also scratched and bloodshot. Zelda waved a hand in front of his face. He didn't so much as blink. "You can't see anything at all?"

Link shook his head.

"Oh, Link." Zelda stroked her finger over the scratches lining his face. Were these the cause of his blindness? Did the fall and Ghirahim's daggers really take his sight away from him? Tears pricked her eyes.

"What?" Link felt along the scars, hand falling over Zelda's. He leaned back, trying to look around for something. "Where's my mother?"

Zelda gently took his face in her hands, making him look at - or rather- face her. "How long do you think it's been sence your father died?"

"A month. Weren't you there? Aren't you the princess?"

"Yes, but, that's not how that happened." Zelda took a deep breath to prepare herself for what she was about to say. "Link, your father died four years ago."

"What? No. No, that's not right." The snippet of the conversation he overheard came back to him. He took a step back as anger pulled at his mind. "How could you say my parents are both gone? I haven't lost my memory. I'll prove it to you. Mother! Aryll!"