Epilogue

9 MONTHS LATER

The knights snapped to attention, standing tall and in salute, as Link, wearing the official Royal Guard uniform, entered the grounds. He didn't trip once in his father's boots. They fit perfectly now. And after a few months of healing and recovery, he was appointed Captain of the Royal Guard. On his first day, everyone was either scared of him, or would taunt him. It only took an hour to set things straight. After that, his soldiers, almost all of which were older than him, respected him and would turn to him as a mentor.

Now, after 5 months of rigorous training, their eyes stared straight ahead as he walked down the line, examining the progress he had made with his understudies.

Just the week before, he had finally found the hideout of the Yiga Clan. He sent scouts, one of which was himself, to map the interior. With careful planning and quick feet, they were able to capture all of the Yiga, and a few rebel Gerudos who still associated with them. They had put up a fight, but with brave spirits and determination, Link and his men were able to arrest them all with only a few fatalities given to the enemy.

The day after the knights returned to Hyrule Castle, the funding had been finished to take down the tower built into the cliffside. Link had visited the demolition sight only twice, but huge progress had already been made. Also, as the walls were being taken apart, the money Ganondorf had stolen a year ago had been found stored away in a hollowed out portion, right where Aryll had been thrown into the wall. Without realizing it, Ghirahim had helped with finding all 10,000 rupees.

Now, as Link walked up and down the two rows of men, he made plans for the new arrivals. At the end of the line stood the newest recruits. They were smaller than the other men, but they held high respect for their captain. They had all heard the stories of the boy who had battled Evil, who had been tortured to the near point of death multiple times. Who had become blind, went to fight off a demon, and lived. Who still wore the scars of those trials. The scars he wore as medals.

Link clasped his hands behind his back, studying his men with a straight face. He felt the curious eyes of the newbies following his back, wanting to see for themselves the scratches on his face. He sharply turned on his heels, startling the young men back into a tall posture. One of them particularly caught his eye.

This boy's armor engulfed his small frame, too big for his scrawny body. The gauntlets on his arms slipped down his wrists, but he made no move to adjust them. He stood still, eyes focused on a point ahead of him. What caught Link's attention was his swollen black eye. This boy reminded Link of himself.

"At ease!" he called, never taking his eye off the boy. The soldiers slapped their hands to their sides. From the corner of his vision, he saw the boy with the black eye glance at him.

Lifting his chin, Link stopped in front of him. The boy, a full foot shorter than him, didn't tremble, unlike the one next to him, but his breathing did hitch. He made eye contact with Link for half a second before returning his gaze directly in front of him.

"What's your name?" Link asked.

"Edmund, reporting for duty, sir!" The boy saluted.

The corners of Link's mouth lifted. "How old are you?"

"Fifteen, sir!"

"Who gave you that balck eye?"

"My brother."

"Your brother?"