Black Riders

Chapter 1 - Black Riders 

I woke up and saw the sun shining inside my bedroom. I realized I must have slept in late since I could see people walking outside through my window. But I lay down again, I was too comfortable to even think of getting out of bed. But I had too. I had to leave the comfort of my soft sheets to go on with the day as I did everyday of my life, which seemed to go on forever. And indeed it did last forever. After all, I am an elf. And being immortal might sound like it it the best thing ever, but when you feel like you don't belong anywhere and you feel that you're not going anywhere with your life, facing all the ages of the world is not the ideal situation. I try my best to see the best in everything and everyone, but it is so hard for me to get over the fact that I am not from here and with that, I probably do not belong here. But I wait, I wait for something incredible to happen because I know that one day, something incredible will happen, but some day could be tomorrow like it could be in a thousand years.

"Lady Aearel, Lord Elrond wishes to see you." Mladris, a beautiful young elf with long and silky blond hair whom I would always go to for advice, spoke after she knocked at my door and entered my bedroom.

"Tell Elrond I'll be right there." I responded to her as I stood up and looked at my dresses deciding which one I would wear today. I opted for a navy blue dress made of the finest and softest fabric with white stones all around the collar and white embroidered flowers at the bottom of it. It sat perfectly on my shoulders and reached up to my wrists and went down to my ankles. I then combed my hair and braided the sides of it, attaching it at the back of my hair so that it wouldn't fall in my face. I looked at myself in the mirror for a moment before waking out of my bedroom and off to speak with Elrond.

I loved it here, even though I felt like I didn't belong here. Rivendell was a beautiful place to live. It almost seemed completely cut off of the rest of the world because of how peaceful it always was here. No battles or hatred, just peace and happiness. At least that's what I thought for now..

I lifted my dress a little as I walked up a few stairs before reaching a big door. I knocked and waited for Elrond to let me in. "Come in." I heard him say and I opened the door slowly before closing it behind me and sitting down on a small bench facing the sun.

"I am worried about you, Aearel." He spoke softly turning towards me and putting an arm on my shoulder.

"You should not waist your time with me, Lord Elrond."

"Aearel... Call me father, just like you always have." He told me and I looked down at my hands.

"And why would I do that? " I asked him archly but I went on before he could answer. "Why would I do that if it is only a bloody lie? You knew the truth for all these years and yet you never thought good to tell me. All this time you knew who my parents were and what happened to them and you still won't tell me! Why can't I know Elrond... I want to know."

"Aearel... You are too young." He spoke gently while I looked outside, not wanting to face him. I could feel his glare on me.

"What do you mean I am too young? I am not a little girl anymore. I am an adult and I demand you tell me everything you know about my parents."

"No. You are not ready to know all of this... Your heart is not ready. It would only break it more and make you feel lost... I do not want to see this happen to you, for I care too much about you."

"My heart is already broken, Elrond. The fact that you are not my father, Arwen is not my sister and Elladan and Elrohir are not my brothers is too much for me to bare. I cannot stay here any longer." I told him as I started to tear up again and I ran out the door not wanting for this conversation to go any further. Why does he not understand that I want to know what happened to them, no matter how bad it is or how bad it will make me feel. I want to know.