The Mines of Moria

Chapter 4 - The Mines of Moria 

I was beside Legolas as we walked through a rock valley. We weren't talking much but for some reason, I liked being with him. We were right behind Gandalf and Frodo, but we were so silent I don't think they noticed we were so close to them because they started talking very low, but being elves, Legolas and I could hear them very clearly.

"And the ring?" He then asked Frodo. I guessed that they had already been talking, only I was not paying attention to them before...

"You feel it's power growing, don't you?" Gandalf questioned Frodo. "I've felt it too. You must be careful now. Evil will be drawn to you from outside the Fellowship and I fear from within." Gimli passed them and Gandalf looked up as Frodo looked worried. It hurt me to see him like this. He did not deserve to suffer so much only because of that ring.

"Who then do I trust?" He asked sounding very worried.

"You must trust yourself. Trust your own strength."

"What do you mean?" He asked him confused.

"There are many powers in this world, for good and for evil. Some are greater than I am and against some I have not yet been tested." Gandalf spoke wisely.

"You should not be listening to their conversation, you know?" Legolas told me with a smirk.

"I could say the same thing to you." I smirked back and he shook his head as he laughed.

"The walls of Moria!" Gimli gasped in front of us. Legolas and I walked up to him and I saw a flat cliff appear in front of us. We walked towards the walls and waited there for the rest of the Fellowship to catch up to us.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed" Gimli stated as he tapped the wall with his axe.

"Yes, Gimli!" Gandalf said when he got to us. "Their own masters cannot find them, of their secrets are forgotten."

"Why doesn't that surprise me!" Legolas said and I chuckled.

"Ach!" Gimli let out.

Gandalf stopped in front of the wall and stared at it as he rubbed his hand over a smooth part of the wall.

"Ah... now let me see... Ithildin." he brushed dirt of the wall with his hand to reveal patterns in the stone. "It mirrors only starlight... and moonlight." he explained as the clouds moved away in the sky to reveal the moon. the patterns shone brightly, revealing an elaborate door, with elvish writing above it, which surprised me since I knew that Elves and Dwarves don't like each other very much. Although I did not mind dwarves. I did not judge a person by his race, only by his heart.

"It reads 'The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria, speak friend and enter'"Gandalf pointed at the writing with his staff.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry, who had been strangely quiet for a while, asked.

"Oh, it's quite simple." Gandalf answered. "If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." he held his staff against the star in the middle of the door and spoke what he thought was the password. "Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!" Gandalf looked confused, for nothing was happening. He cleared his throat and held up both his hands. "Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen." Still nothing.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin turned around towards Legolas and I and said.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of elves, men and orcs." Gandalf said as he tried to push the door.

"What're you going to do then?" Pippin asked him.

"Knock you head against these doors , Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them and I'm allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words." Gandalf said harshly.