For Frodo

Chapter 20 - For Frodo

The next morning, we were all making our way to Mordor. This was the time we had all been dreading ever since we had left Rivendell. It seemed like we had left the tranquility of that valley years ago, and that only made me want it to be over even more.

I looked back behind me, wondering if I would ever look upon the White City again. I reluctantly faced back in front of me, trying to stay positive. Legolas must have sensed my sorrow for he squeezed my hand tightly. I was behind him on his horse, this time. 

I hoped now more than ever to go back home in peace. I missed the sound of birds chirping early in the morning and the sound of the water falling onto the rocks in the small rivers. I missed the bright sun that made me feel warm and comfortable, because it was home. I missed going to the library and sitting in the gardens. I also missed hopping in my horse and enjoying the sounds and smells of nature as I would practice archery. Archery was so much better when it was practiced at home than in a battle filed with cries of horror. But above all, I missed my family. Sure they were not really related to me. But they loved and cared for me just as I did for them. And that's what family is, for me. It's not the fact that he's my father or not. It's that he cares for me and we connect with each other because of love. And I missed that dearly.

I rested my head on Legolas' shoulder and tried to calm myself down by listening to the sound of the horses' hooves on the ground.

***

"Where are they?" Pippin whispered as we all looked at the Black Gate in front of us. I gulped nervously. Nothing could be heard, it was dead silent. I had expected to hear the Orcs' cries or the echoing sound of Sauron voice... But it was nothing like that.

Aragorn started riding towards the gate and Legolas quickly made our horse follow him. We stopped in front of the dark and menacing gate as it loomed above us.

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!" Aragorn shouted into the silence. There was no reply. But after a moment, the huge gate started creaking as it opened itself. The horse backed up a little, sensing danger, and I held onto Legolas tightly.

A single rider upon a steed came out of the fare. But him alone was just as scary as an army of Orcs. His horse was draped in metal armour. The rider was wearing a dark helmet that covered almost his whole face, only his enormous mouth was showing. His cracked lips were dripping with blood and it made me frown. This rider scared me... There was just something about him that made me very uncomfortable.

"My master, Sauron the Great, bids you welcome." He said and gave us what seemed like a smile. His pointy teeth were yellow and stained with blood. As he talked the slits around his
mouth opened again, making more blood come out. "Is there any in this rout with the authority to treat with me?" He questioned.

"We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed." Gandalf said and the Mouth of Sauron turned to look at him. "Tell your master this: the armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return." The filth looked at the wizard and seemed to laugh cruelly.

"Old Greybeard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee." He growled and dug a hand under his dark coat, pulling out Frodo's Mithril vest.

I stared at it and my heart seemed to break all over again. My eyes started to water and I felt so small... Frodo could not be dead. And Sam? This was all too much for me...

"Frodo." Pippin whispered as the Mouth of Sauron threw the vest at Gandalf. "Frodo!" Pippin cries out.

"Silence." Gandalf ordered and I shut my eyes to stop the tears from streaming down my face.