Chapter 18

The hunger from the past few days got suppressed by the stolen food and for once I’m proud to steal something, it doesn’t make me feel worthy but it does give me a reason to keep going so heck yeah, Earth needs me. Maybe that was too much, Earth doesn’t need me, I need me, I need myself to go through this terrible experience so that I could’ve great stories to tell further. Man, I’m a horrible person; enjoying others’ misery and hoping this to be storytelling.

The sad faces that hung like zombies till yesterday had bright and happy smiles plastered over their faces. I understood what people meant by ‘find happiness in little moments.’ If we were dining at our home around the table, watching our favorite shows, we wouldn’t even appreciate the fact that we got to eat, instead, we would complain about how the salt is too much or less in the food. We do need to focus on what’s good around us instead of complaining and searching for bad. Damn, Zean and philosophy are not a bad combination.

After fighting and winning the food we deserved, (I decided not to use the ‘stealing the food' phrase because it’s not stealing if they are killing) Ayan lit up the fire in their already built-up bonfire area and we grilled the meat, and vegetables using the stick. It made us feel like stone-age or maybe camping, whatever it is, it is something new that we only opt for while traveling so it does feel new. Ulna in Heather is indeed our camp.

Wakumi cooked/grilled, Kelly and Xavier helped, and Zain lit up the mood by cracking not-so-funny jokes, Silver laughed, and I waited for food. I knew I was not contributing to this helping thing but okay, I’m not an expert in the kitchen so let them do the stuff, it saved me from making fool of myself.

Wakumi asked me to wait till the food was grilled and gave me the warm smile. Silver kept me company by holding my hand while laughing at Zain's not-so-funny jokes which he cracked on my bitchy mood. Xavier and Ayan served the food to everyone, Keit scolded Zain for not behaving, Kelly jumped right into drinking and got scolded by Wakumi for not waiting for the food, and Wakumi kept on checking on everyone for they needed more food after it was served. This whole survival group is a family package TBH. 

The food was not a savory kind of food but good enough for us to get back our lost energy. Everyone ate with joy and at that moment, taste and flavors lost their job. The only thing that mattered was we got the food and we ate it till we were full.

“We have enough stock, we can celebrate Christmas too”, Wakumi joked to light up the mood with our dark reality, or maybe she was being serious.

The hope Wakumi has to celebrate Christmas with enthusiasm is saddening. The thing about hope is it does keep you going but sometimes hope makes people believe too much that they start hoping for the impossible. Hope never allows you to give up even if it’s time to let it go because it’s impossible to keep pushing.

If I’m not wrong then today will be the 14th  or 15th of December which means Christmas is still 10 days away. She surely will be here on the 10th day and we will be either home or lying lifeless on the grounds of Arbmtys. I’m having hope to reach home but  I’m accepting the reality of our odds of surviving too.

Being honest, dying is scary and in survival, you start loving the idea of getting more days to live even though you hate your life. This idea of living more kind of makes me want to stay with Wakumi but I’m trying hard to dismiss the thought of playing safe because Canada awaits me and we still have the burner if Riyan is safe.

To plan the next move means planning to move out of this hideout to find Riyan AKA the guy with the burner, so I am not going to start this conversation to ruin the mood. Let this carefree environment light up our lives for a while.

“Is it cool if I say that I feel good? I mean I know considering the situation sooner or later we will die but…”, Kelly spoke up and thanks to her, the carefree moment was ruined.