Once Upon A Tom

Once upon a time, in a land far far away. . .

Hold on. That doesn't seem right. Let's try this again.

In a land quite far away and probably imaginative (ah, that's better), there lived a wealthy family of the sir name Hiddleston. They raised their son, Thomas, with the best morals they could think of. His parents wanted him to be the best he could so that one day he would rule over the kingdom.

Everyone in the kingdom was fond of the Hiddleston family except for those who were blinded by jealousy of their material things and power. That group went by the name of the Misfits. They were the most highly trained thieves and rebels in the land. It also happened to be where you grew up. Sure, you weren't the richest but you got by with what you had and enjoyed yourself.

Tonight was the biggest night of your life; the special heist. It was the night everyone in the kingdom had been waiting for since Thomas was born. All in the village would put on their best attire to celebrate Thomas' engagement. You, however, had something else in mind. When the sun is at it's peak, the royal carriage will pass by with the crowned jewels meant for the bride. With those gems, you'll be able to buy all of the Misfits meals for many moons.

You sit in a tree with your bow and arrow waiting for the carriage to arrive. "We'll be at the castle very soon, Mr. Hiddleston." you hear the knight say. A mumble replies to the knight which causes him to chuckle. You carefully aim your arrow at an obstacle to make the horse stop abruptly. Once the horse jumps to dodge the obstacle, you make your move. You carefully slide down the tree, run behind the knight, and to the door of the carriage.

"Hi," you smile to Thomas, who was very startled. "If you hand me that bag, there won't be any trouble."

"W-Why would I d-do that?" Thomas stutters.

You sigh. "So I wouldn't have to do this.." You hit a pressure point that makes him unconscious and unhook the bag from his belt. "Thanks!" you reply to the sleeping man before running away from the carriage.

"No, don't!" Thomas groggily yells.

"Sir?" The knight runs the open door. "Sir, are you alright?"

"A woman." Thomas pants. "A bandit, I think. S-She took the jewels. B-But I didn't see w-where she went." The knight begins to chuckle. "I don't understand, what's so funny?"

"What she took was a decoy," the knight answers. "Don't worry, sir, the real jewels are in your luggage."

Thomas sighs. "Thank goodness. On we go, then."

You, on the other hand, ran into the middle of the woods even though you were sure no one was following you. Panting, you opened the bag to reveal, wait. . . . rocks? "Damn it!" You throw the bag to the ground. "This isn't over, Hiddleston's!"

You knew you needed a back up plan in case the guards were smarter than you thought so you ran to the nearest village to go to phase two. No one was out so you quietly took the fanciest dress off a pair of clothes pins. It was damp but it would be ready by later tonight.

"Is this a good idea?" Rebecca, a fellow Misfit, asked once you returned to the camp site with the dress.

"Of course it is," you say, holding the dress up. "You know how those jewels can help us. This is for the benefit of so many people."

Rebecca sighs. "Alright. I'll help you get ready."

***

"If this doesn't work," Rebecca walks you in front of the castle where many people are entering for the ball, "remember to find the nearest exit and don't look back."