Chapter 3

Nicolo's POV

"Niccy it's my 18th birthday, pleeeease!" Maria whines.

My little sister is standing in front of my desk in my office. She's wearing a light pink gown that cinches at her waist and flows down elegantly to the floor. Her dark hair which is normally in thick curls is now straightened, her makeup done with a bit too much glitter, and of course, her being the drama queen that she is, she's wearing a fucking tiara.

"You have to come, you just have to make an appearance!" She pouts, flashing her stupid puppy dog eyes at me and clasping her hands together.

Parties are not my style. I'm not the guy that is outgoing and extroverted. All of my birthdays I asked for nothing more than just a simple "happy birthday", and even that was pushing it.

Maria was the exact opposite.

She was extremely outgoing, bubbly, eccentric, dramatic, and fucking annoying. Her request for turning 18 was a masquerade ball. She said she "wants to feel like Cinderella so she can find her damn Prince Charming."

I stated from the beginning that I would arrange everything, but I will not be attending, to which she agreed to.

Guess that was a fucking lie.

"Please please please please please please-" she rambles, growing louder by the second.

"Alright!" I stop her, pinching the bridge of my nose as I feel a headache coming on. "I'll go. Give me 10 minutes to change and I'll be there."

"Yay! Thanks Niccy! I love you." She beams before scurrying out of the room to her party.

How the hell she is related to me, I have no idea. She is so happy and full of light, and annoys me to no ends. But if anyone were to touch a hair on her head, they would find themselves waking up 6 feet under.

I go to my room, grumbling about how stupid this is while I change into a black suit and put on the black mask that she bought for me.

I go downstairs to the party, looking at the amount of people. I spot Maria giggling with some of her friends and having a good time.

Looking further I see Xavier, my right hand man, shoving the cocktail shrimp that was supposed to be for everyone into his mouth. His face was overflowing as Rocco, my third in command cheered him on, handing him more shrimp.

"Fottuti idioti." (Fucking dumbasses) I mutter under my breath, silently happy that the men are actually having fun for once.

It has been about four years since I took over the Marchetti Mafia from my mother. She had been in control for over twenty years, ever since my father was found with a knife in his chest, laying dead in his own office.

His death, a mystery. It was presumed to have been an inside job given that no one had come into the house that day, but it was never found who the traitor was. My mother was eager to take over the role of Don, being our first female leader in quite some time.

She was a crude woman. Not the type of mother that would kiss your boo boos better if you know what I mean. She ran the Mafia ruthlessly, slaughtering anyone and everyone in her path, including innocent people. It didn't matter to her, she craved the power.

Xavier, Rocco, and I overthrew her when she became too much. She didn't give a shit about the actual Mafia, she just craved the feeling of being top dog. We threatened her and told her to leave the fucking country, the last words I heard from her embedded in my memory.

"Oh stellina, you can never truly be rid of me, after-all, the monster in me also resides in you." (Little star)

Shaking the thought from my head, I focused on the crowd again. This is not a time for negative thoughts, it is a party after all.