𝒕𝒆𝒏, war

REDEMPTION.
[ chapter ten ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

OUTSIDE THE WCKD BUILDING was just as crazy as the inside. Sirens blare in the distance, and armoured vehicles fly down the streets in search for the trouble creators. It would only get busier the longer it took for WCKD to find the teenagers, and that's what Eve dreads.

The only weapon she currently has on her body is her knife, as seen as her two guns had ran out of ammunition half way through the journey.

Following her brother, Evelyn skids down against a small wall, pressing her back against the stone as Thomas lands beside her and Newt and Minho hide behind the opposite wall.

Eve can see that Newt is struggling. He's only ran a short distance, and with his dodgy ankle and poor health condition, he's panting and sweating like crazy. m

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally mutters, watching as more cars shoot down the street.

As Thomas and Eve throw off their gloves, the dark haired boy says, "How far are the tunnels?"

Gally purses his lips, "Uh, maybe twelve blocks from here."

Another cough rattles Newt's body and Eve clenches her jaw at the sound while shaking her head gently. Beside her, Thomas' hands curls into fists.

"We can make it," Gally says, noticing their discomfort and sending them both a nod.

Eve begins to pull off the soaking wet uniform jacket wrapping around her body. Her chest still pumping up and down from the adrenaline rush as she shrugs the heavy jacket onto the floor, leaving her in her black tank top and the WCKD cargos. Thomas begins to do the same, running a hand through his hair.

Minho shuffles over to them, and Evelyn looks over at Newt. Ignoring Minho's words as she makes her way over to crouch beside the blonde boy, patting his shoulder.

"You hanging in there?" She smiles gently.

He laughs, motioning towards her face with a weak hand, "You're bloody smiling. It's taken my demise to make you sincerely smile."

Her jaw clamps shut and her face falls flat once more at his joke. She shakes her head, "Don't start with that."

Coughing, his eyes float over her shoulder to Minho, who's still chatting with Thomas and Gally, "We got him back," He hums.

"Yeah, we did. So now we have to focus on you," She jabs a gentle finger into his chest, "You're our priority now. So no more 'we have to do this, this and this first'. Because we don't have to do anything else anymore. You're—"