𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, fault

REDEMPTION.
[ chapter fourteen ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THOMAS STARES AT AVA PAIGE, tears still streaming down his cheeks while he tries to forget about how he just drove a heart through his best friends heart. Now, he's finally able to experience Evelyn's hurt and the amount of emotions she had flowing through her when she through her weapon into Gally's chest.

But as his grip on a gun tightens and his hands shake, he wonders how Evelyn remained so calm after sobbing over her brother's dead body. She had fallen silent in the helicopter as they were flown away from the plane, and her face was a void, but Thomas doesn't feel like that now. He's heartbroken, and he can't stop the loud sob that escapes his lips.

He stares down the barrel of the pistol at the woman who started this nightmare and wishes he had Evelyn's strength to be able to pull the trigger.

"Is it true?" He's the first to break the silent, but his voice is quiet and shaky, "Newt. Could I have saved him?"

Ava's expression is soft, and she doesn't seem at all affected by the gun pointed directly at her head, "You can save us all."

Thomas squeezes his eyes shut for a moment, remembering Teresa's words that boomed over the city. He drops his chin to his chest, his hand releasing the gun and letting it clatter to the tiled floor as he sobs.

Slowly, Ava approaches him, inspecting his heartbroken expression and her eyebrows cinch together at the sight of him, almost as if she feels guilty.

"It's okay," She whispers softly.

Thomas keeps his eyes trained on the floor for a few more moments before he finally meets her gentle gaze, "Just leave the others alone. Just— just leave Eve alone."

As he speaks her name, he thinks about how she's probably currently crying over Newt's body, just like she did with Gally, apart from this time it's Thomas' fault. He's the one who's caused her so much more pain.

Ava nods, smiling gently, "I promise," She steps closer, "I will—"

Suddenly, a gun shots rings through the large room and Thomas jerks back as he watches a pool of red cover Ava Paige's chest and then she's collapsing towards him, and he lets her drop to the ground at his feet as he stares at her lifeless body in shock.

His head shoots up, watching Janson as the man steps through a cloud of smoke caused by the pistol he holds. Then Thomas' eyes float down to the body being dragged behind Janson. It's Eve. Thomas' eyes grow wide, and he's quick to take a step forward.