Chapter 8

She had gotten what she came here for. Her hunt was done. All that was left was to trade him in. Except—"Where the hell is the island?!" Charlotte hollered, spinning around to glare at the two pirates in boiler suits hiding out by the metal door. They were surrounded by nothing but water. The forest of mangrove trees nowhere in sight

"W-we left!" One of them stuttered, ducking behind the other at the flare of anger that was sent his way. "An admiral was coming. There's no way we'd stay there and wait around." The other scoffed. He was a lot more confident than the first. And a lot angrier, Charlotte noted, following the burning golden eyes towards the captured heart. She moved the heart left, then right, then quickly around and she frowned when his eyes followed it like a homing beacon. Slowly, she hid the heart behind her, out of his line of view. She couldn't afford anyone taking it from her now.

"Well, turn it around. I have business there." Charlotte ordered and turned back towards the sea. Her eyes fixed at the opposite direction they were going. The island will be there. She told herself, waiting for it to come back into view. "...Why aren't we turning?" She snapped. Her eyes challenging the white-haired and angry one who looked like he wanted to bite her head off.

"We don't take orders from you." He spat, matching her glare easily. He had a cocky grin on his face.

"Then who do you take them from?" Charlotte asked, begrudgingly. A knowing feeling sinking into her stomach. The male tilted his head towards the side where Law stood next to the other pirate who was handing him his severed arms back. Of course. She droned. They only listen to their Captain! "Oi, Target, tell your crew to turn the ship back around!" Charlotte barked, and Law scowled the ordered. Charlotte tapped a finger against the boxed heart. "I wouldn't get ahead of myself. Remember the position your in."

Law stared at the beating heart and tapped the spot over his hoodie where his heart should have been. The fabric gave way easily, more than should be natural—a reminder that it was indeed his heart. "Cole-ya," He called, and the white-haired man stood tall immediately. Charlotte smirked smugly at the call. "We're diving."

"Huh? But Capt'n, what about...?" He turned slightly, tilting his body towards the female aboard and his captured heart.

"It's fine. Head inside and let Bepo know... to dive." He repeated with a subtle nod. The other jumped, yelling a quick 'Aye, Captain'. The two scurried off quickly. The metal door shutting behind them.

Charlotte's eyes narrowed at the sound of a deadbolt falling into place. She turned towards the only other person on the deck. His heart still in her hands. "Dive? What's diving?" She asked, suspicions clear in her voice.

"Hunter-ya," Law turned to meet her glaring eyes with a calm smile of his face. "Are you aware that you are standing on a submarine?" Water spilled over the edge, rushing in through rails as the yellow ship started descending. For once since Law met the huntress did, she seem panicked. He grinned at the sight. "You can't swim, can you?" He said, voice and tone far too cocky for Charlotte's liking.

"On the contrary, I can!" Law quirked a brow, remembering her earlier contradictory words at the Human Shop. Despite her words, Charlotte climbed onto the rail, avoiding the thin layer of water coating the deck. "And you?" She shot back, watching the doctor slump against the boat's rail, body growing steadily weaker. "Devil Fruit users are weak to the sea."

"That makes both of us." Law corrected back, smug despite the strength draining from him.

Her eyes darted towards the sealed door the two pirates had disappeared behind. The path already inaccessible. There was also no island insight either. This was suicide! She shot another glance at her prey, slumped against the rail and sitting on the deck. The sea water was reaching his stomach. Shit! She cursed, eyes darting towards the submarine below her. She lifted her free hand.