Chapter 23

"Don't you ever think before you act so recklessly?" Law scolded, yanking his frustration out on a roll of bandages. They were back in the infirmary, having made a safe retreat. Law dutifully checked them for any injuries when he realized that the two marines weren't going after them. He was fine with no major injuries, but he eyed the child on the medical bed and sighed. "Not only were you hit by the Devil Fruit ability, but you also managed to get your right arm crushed."

"Wow!" Charlotte spun back to stare at the doctor with an incredulous look. "That's the thanks I get for saving your ass from breaking an arm or worse? I would be fine if I didn't have to save your ass!"

"I would have made it out fine without your help!"

"Are you as blind as you are stupid? You would have gotten caught in seastone. The only reason why you're fine and dandy is because of me!"

"Really? Because the way you kicked me into metal cabinets was totally pain-free!" His left side still ached from being basically snapped in half. Did she forget that she's also weak to seastone? He thought with a huff a moment later.

"Well, sorry! I'll be gentler with the damn princess next time!" Law clicked his tongue when the woman made a move to throw both her arms into the air, including her broken arm and he reached over to stop her from hurting herself more. "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Law pulled back at the sudden shout. His eyes wide, then narrowing as he eyed the purple orb glowing around her good hand. She pulled back, smushing herself against the back wall. Platinum eyes glaring daggers at his hand. "She stays her distance, doesn't she? Like your touch will burn her." Law lowered his hand and frowned when she relaxed. He placed the bandages down on the bed between them and turned away. "Bind your arm and I'll find you something to wear." He said, voice carefully neutral, and Charlotte paused to stare at the back of his head for a moment.

The white marine top was far too big for her small frame. The top acting more like a dress with how it fell by her knees. He pivoted topics instead, his voice pulling Charlotte from her straying thoughts. "You didn't have my ability at the time. That's why you kicked me away instead of shambling me." She hummed a confirmation.

Law frowned when he came up with nothing to fix her wardrobe issue. "What are you doing?" Law deadpanned at the tiny huntress tangled up in the bandages. She looked like a contorted mummy.

She blinked back at him, mumbled something he couldn't catch under the thick layers of bandages around her face, and then flopped backwards, unbalanced. "Bandaging the wound!" She finally managed after getting some bandages off her mouth. "That's what this was for right?" She waved the bandages around.

Law sighed at the hopeless child, remembering her lack of medical knowledge. "You hiss at me when I try to treat you but can't treat yourself. Aren't you troublesome?" She rolled her eyes, deplorable, at his comment and Law chose not to comment on how innocuous she looked.

He quirked a brow when her stare remained. "I thought you didn't want me to touch you." He commented, a slight tease in his voice.

Charlotte flushed at that, anger and embarrassment heating across her skin. She bit her tongue and jerked her head away as far as she could while being tangled up. She blinked when the world shifted and she was sitting on the medical chair. The bandages no longer binding her.

Charlotte snapped her head up towards the doctor who seemed suddenly busy with something else. Did you just shamble me out? She wanted to ask. Her mouth opening and closing. She didn't understand why. It would have been easier for him to just untie her than to use his Devil Fruit ability. Less tiring too.