Chapter 16

Charlotte dropped onto the metal hull of the submarine as quietly as she could. Her Haki abilities only allowing her to see the several sleeping bodies below, but not where the doors or items on the submarine were. She cursed when she bumped into something she didn't recall being there. Someone had moved something.

Arms stretched out wide Charlotte patted along the crate towards the wall, using her hand as a secondary guide to the floor plans she had memorized back when they were docked on Amazon Lily. She inhaled silently, fingers twitching to curl and send her karambit spinning outwards as she stood before the metal door to her target's office. He wasn't asleep like she had hoped he would be. Freaking sleep-deprived masochist—

"I know your there. Come in, Hunter-ya."

observant paranoid bastard. She finished cursing as she entered. His back was to her. His hands ghosted a spine of another book, fingers dipping into the top edge to pull it out of the shelf. He waited for her to slowly step back out into the dimly lit room before speaking, "You may have Haki, but I know everything that enters my Room."

Charlotte's eyes adjusted to the dim light, noticing the thin blue film around them. A twisted grin on her face as she met the doctor's dark eyes. "You had all the lights off on purpose." Charlotte clicked her tongue. Usually there would be night lights lining the bottom of the halls so they could see if they were unexpectedly ambushed or attacked at night. However, there weren't a single shred of light in the yellow submarine tonight. As if the darkness from Kukonda Island had infected the little submarine. She couldn't help but respect his preparedness. Even if it was against her.

"Fast as always." Law commented, easily and Charlotte wasn't sure if it was a compliment or an insult. "You're late. The meet time was sundown." He added before Charlotte could decide. He cracked open the book, pretending to read the words there. "Where are the others?" His eyes fell towards the metal glinting in the dim light. Cole had only given her back one of her weapon. How cautious.

Charlotte blinked, off-kilter by the question. Her fingers flexed and her blade shifted slightly. He couldn't really think she was just simply late in getting back, could he? "They're in jail." She answered, not sure what the game the other was playing. Surely, he had to know she was here for him, right?

"And why aren't you there?" Law hummed, skimming through another page.

"I was." His page flipping stalled. "I escaped first." He flipped the page, tattoo hand resting over the page and blocking the text he wasn't reading. His attention focused on listening instead. First, she had said. So, the others should be coming soon. "If they're not dumb, then they would have snuck out before the sun rises."

He closed the book and turned towards the huntress slowly circling him. "Why before the sun rise?" They couldn't see in this dark. Waiting until sunlight made more sense.

"Because everything resumes once the sun rises. The Zālians only operate during working hours. Those are the hours when the sun is up. Night is the only time to do things undetected." Charlotte answered and Law took a moment to appreciate the intel she collected.

"Was it cold on your way back?" Law pivoted suddenly, noticing the red hue on her bare arms in the dim lights and the slight trembles of her body.

"There was a bit of wind." Charlotte responded absentmindedly, eyes scanning the room. The overtly long sword wasn't with him, but she doubted it would be far away. Likely in the range of his room should he need it urgently.

"...how did you get caught?" He watched her eyes drop to her bound arms and Law raised a brow at the scarf now acting as sleeves. "The cuffs." He answered in recognition and Charlotte nodded.