3. Bets

《 I swore I'd never be like them
But I was just a kid back then 》

~♡~

"Just for the record, I still hate you."

"I'll keep apologising, it's alright." Renjun said with half of a smile. "I'll do that until you forgive me."

"You'd have to do that until the day you die." Jaemin said with a raised brow. "Cause I ain't gonna forgive you. Ever."

Silence.

Renjun was smart enough to understand every word Jaemin said. But he did not know how to make everything right. Or how to bring back their damaged relationship. All he knew was that he needed Jaemin in his life. As a friend, not an enemy.

"I missed you." He said truthfully, his lips pressed into a line, something close to a smile.

Again silence.

Words.

You have to be too clever with words if you want to talk with someone like Jaemin. That boy had his own way of speaking. If daggers could stab, Jaemin's words could kill.

They were at the open garden of the castle, both on the last step of the corridor, not daring to step on the grass.

They were struggling to start a productive conversation.

Renjun thought he messed up his wording. But that's when he heard a sigh and saw Jaemin opening his arms.

"I missed you too."

The worries fading away, Renjun got buried in the hug.

He felt Jaemin tightening his hold, making his heart full.

"I'm glad you're back." the younger continued. "Everything alright with your family?"

"Mom was being a headache but it was fine." Renjun mumbled, making the other scoff out a laugh.

"Well, that's not new."

Renjun too laughed, breaking away. For a moment they had the same smile, cherishing the moment. Then Renjun remembered something and turned that smile into a smirk.

"So.... Lee Jeno, huh?" He started.

Jaemin rolled his eyes. "Don't start."

"I was gone for only two years and you already got laid?"

"Its Jeno, do I really have to explain?" Jaemin said calmly, yet his voice sounding annoyed.

"Yes you have to! I need to be updated about my fellow purple mate's love life." Renjun said crossing his arms.