1. Jubilee

He could see the terror on their faces. His mother's and Jan Olof's at least. His father had lowered his head as if trying to pretend he hadn't witnessed what had just happened. August was avoiding eye contact and mostly seemed puzzled. There was a general nervous energy but no real action happening yet.

Wilhelm heard the cameras clicking and whispers begin again after the collective gasp and held breath of the crowd at the confession he'd just made.

He was shocked himself that he'd been capable of actually saying it, in spite of the fear of everyone knowing it had been him in that private moment with Simon, but he'd finally done it.

He looked down at his notecards that he'd abandoned and contemplated where he should resume his speech.

He hadn't really planned any of this or even known what would happen until a moment before. But he felt compelled to do something about 10 minutes prior when Simon had finally confessed that he loved Wilhelm.

Simon had been willing to sacrifice something so important. He was willing to be Wilhelm's secret in order for them to be together. But Wilhelm realised he couldn't ask that of Simon, and they shouldn't have to live that way.

It had given Wilhelm the strength and conviction to return the love Simon had shown him. It had pushed him to prove to Simon that he could trust Wilhelm to always protect him and be on his side. Wilhelm felt that the only way he could prove his love was to no longer deny Simon to the world.

He suddenly felt inspired to continue his speech as openly and honestly as he could.

"I didn't intend this to happen, in fact, I didn't have a choice. But now that it has, I can't step back or pretend to be someone I'm not. I intend to do my best to make my country...and my family...proud of me as the Crown Prince and future king of Sweden. I can't promise that I will uphold all of the same traditions and values that the Royal Family always has, because I don't believe they are all good, and I can't be insincere by pretending that they are. I will represent my country and family with dignity and authenticity. That is something I can promise because I refuse to lie anymore. As today is our school's Jubilee, I would like to congratulate my classmates and teachers as well as thank my dear mother, and thank everyone for celebrating with us today."

Wilhelm gave a slight bow of his head, gathered his notecards, adjusted his jacket, and stepped down from the podium, turning back to his seat.

He heard a hesitant smattering of applause from the public as he slowly walked, observing his mother whose look of terror had transformed into something he couldn't quite understand.

Suddenly he heard a "Whoooo!!! Yessss Willeeeee!" from one of the girls in the crowd and realised it was Felice. The other girls quickly joined her, squealing and clapping furiously for him. Then he heard several male voices join and louder applause begin behind him. He paused to turn and look over at them with a wide smile but remained composed. Felice was jumping up and down and waving at him as she squealed. He also took the opportunity to look back at Simon and smile again. Now he and the choir were clapping and whooping for Wilhelm, some with their arms around Simon, clapping him on the shoulder in celebration, encouraging him. Simon was smiling but still seemed somewhat stunned and as if he might be on the verge of tears.

Wilhelm swelled with warmth and love looking at Simon, feeling such acceptance and support from his classmates and Felice especially, something he'd rarely felt before. He also felt something else he could barely describe...something like a weight being lifted from his shoulders after years of feeling its oppression holding him down. He felt...free.

He slowly turned and walked back toward his chair, smiling slightly to himself, and feeling lighter than he could remember feeling in his life. He made eye contact with his mother and could tell she was putting on a mask for the public. She wasn't smiling but she was masking her anger and disappointment from those around who didn't know her like he did. He sat next to her, adjusted his jacket, and heard her whisper "we'll speak in private."

Wilhelm looked straight ahead and responded "Or we can speak now. I haven't got any secrets anymore." He turned slightly to look at her as he spoke the last few words. That's when he saw her glare at him sideways and knew that she really wasn't pleased with him.

They sat through the next couple of speeches and a few more songs and finally the celebration started to wind down. Wilhelm made eye contact with his psychologist, Boris, who gave him a warm, fatherly smile that helped bolster Wilhelm through the remaining celebration.

Wilhelm looked to the choir many times, catching Simon's eyes and smiled, trying to reassure Simon that everything would be alright. Simon gave Wilhelm a look that signified understanding each time but he still appeared anxious about the consequences of what Wilhelm had done.

Simon hoped that it would be alright but felt a change in the crowd of classmates and the press especially. Everyone seemed slightly on edge.

There were more photo opportunities and shaking hands that Wilhelm now felt happier to smile through and participate in with less nervousness or awkwardness, apart from those with his own family.

One of the prestigious guests who'd greeted the royal family on the way in came to say goodbye and held Wilhelm's hand in both of hers as she leaned in and said quietly

"We're proud of you, Kronprinsen. You're very brave."

Wilhelm was taken aback but glad for the support and smiled widely thanking her sincerely. It occurred to him that it would be wonderful to hear his own mother say something similar.