63. Interview 2

Wilhelm couldn't take any more and intervened right away.

"I've answered this question and there's no reason for Simon to answer it. I understand the interest, but there's not much more information we can give about it."

"So you don't think you would ever marry a woman?"

"I've already said that I can't see that happening, no. I don't feel like answering the same questions is going to be very interesting or useful for anyone."

Wilhelm managed to control his tone for the most part but Simon could tell he was anxious and upset, and understandably.

Simon was starting to really dislike this woman who seemed to pretend not to understand their answers just to provoke them into anger.

Suddenly Simon noticed the Queen stand up behind the camera and leave the room quickly. Linda looked concerned.

Miss Hansen turned to the director and asked for a break when she noticed too. The director signalled to the cameraman to stop.

The Queen came back into the room with Jan Olof and she seemed to have explained the situation to him. She stood nearby as she let Jan Olof speak to the reporter and director.

"Miss Hansen, I think we should bring the interview to a conclusion if that's all. The Crown Prince has answered these questions previously. If you have any new questions, however, please feel free-"

"No." Kristina spoke suddenly from behind Jan Olof, "This interview is over. The Crown Prince has asked you to move on from those sorts of questions and you haven't listened so we're going to conclude this now."

Kristina didn't wait for a response, but looked at Wilhelm letting him know that it was time to go.

Wilhelm and Simon shook hands with the interviewer and attempted to smile sincerely at her but it was extremely difficult. Wilhelm especially felt lied to by Jan Olof but he decided to see what his mother's reaction would be first.

Once they'd left the room the Queen led the boys and Linda into her office.

"I don't think either of you should be expected to make any appearances or public statements or interviews until you're both eighteen. This isn't helping anything. It's only fueling gossip and this particular reporter and network will never be invited back after today.

If people have questions about what's going on I think our policy should be that it's no one's business. You're both minors. This interest in your personal lives is honestly perverse. I should have insisted we decline the offer to interview you. I see that now. I'll be telling Jan Olof this if all of us agree. I honestly don't know how he could have thought this would be a good idea."

The three of them looked at each other and nodded in agreement.  Linda reached out and touched Simon's arm to comfort him. 

Wilhelm stroked his other arm and couldn't help feeling ashamed and guilty that Simon had been targeted this way.

Wilhelm and Simon were however both relieved that they wouldn't have to deal with anything like that again, at least for a couple of years.

Wilhelm looked at the Queen, "Tack, mamma."

Linda spoke suddenly, "Ehm, Wilhelm's invited to our house for dinner tonight if you'd like to come too, Your Highness."

The Queen smiled, surprised, but she declined politely. 

"Some time soon, and you should come have dinner with us too.  I'm just a bit busy dealing with this tonight but I'd like that, yes."

They made their way out of the office and said goodbye to Wilhelm's father and mother, making their way out of the palace and into Linda's car.

Once they had closed the doors, it felt like there was a collective sigh amongst the three of them.  They felt as if they were making a small escape from this surreal existence finally. 

If the Queen was really serious that she would make sure they didn't have any obligation to make statements on their personal lives for two years, there might still be a short period of normality for them where they could be themselves and just enjoy being together. 

Wilhelm felt impatient to leave and get back to the normal part of his life.