Chapter One

AT FIRST, NO ONE MADE A SOUND.

They all just stared and stared and stared at the power source, who definitely wasn't a rock. Keefe found his voice first.

"Well I guess we can't destroy the power source," he mumbled. "If it's a person."

Elysian just smirked. "I would but love to see you try," she said. Her voice had millennials of wisdom in it, like she was even older than councilor Bronte, which was saying something. And the way she talked was like... almost out of date.

"Elysian!" Lady Gisela said, looking more surprised than Sophie had ever seen her. "Well, this is certainly a surprise, but a most welcome one. I've been looking for you for years." Gisela walked over like she wanted to give the power source a hug, but Elysian looked unimpressed. She stepped away and disappeared, like she had just stepped through an invisible doorway.

What?  Was all Sophie could think when Elysian appeared again, next to one of the trolls, whose mouth was hanging wide open. But she wrinkled her nose when she caught the gross troll smell, and reappeared next to Sophie.

Sophie was proud of herself for not jumping.

"Who are you?" She finally asked, staring at Elysian. She was definitely beautiful, but a lot to take in, with her long silvery-blonde hair, and her midnight blue eyes. Her skin was pale, almost chalky, and her ears had the biggest points Sophie had ever seen.

Elysian's laugh was low pitched and somehow musical, but it sounded all wrong. "Did I not just tell you?" She asked Sophie. "I am Elysian, the power source you all have been scouring the earth for."

"Yes, I know," Sophie said, "But I mean, where did you come from? And why have you been trapped here for so long?"

But Elysian just grinned. "Why would you think I would tell you things of that great importance?"

"Because– because it could be important!" Sophie said. But Elysian just smiled wider, and laughed. "Yes, it is of great importance, like I just told you."

"Trust me, if there's anyone you can trust, it's Sophie," Keefe said. He looked at her friends for backup, and they all nodded.

"But why?" Elysian asked.

"Why what?" Fitz said.

"Why should I put my confidence in this youthful girl, Sophie? Isn't it?"

"Yes," Sophie said. "And you can trust me because..." Somehow her brain wasn't giving her anything, even though she knew for a fact that there were reasons that she was trustworthy.

"Listen, if you care about our world at all, then you should trust her," Maruca said. Sophie gave her a grateful smile, glad to hear Maruca saying that. She didn't really know where some of her less close friends stood, especially Maruca, so it was great to hear that she trusted her.

Elysian's smile widened. "The only way to make me trust Sophie is if she lets me use my mind reading power on her," she said.

"You're a Telapath?" Sophie said, surprised.

"Is that what it is called in the present time? And It's not as astonishing as you make it seem," Elysian said. "I'm an elf, I have special talents, as do all of you. But there is a more important question. Will you allow me to enlighten myself with the knowledge that is in your mind?"

"Well you can try," Sophie said. "But not a lot of people can." She smiled smugly at Elysian, and put up her mental defenses. Elysian closed her eyes, and Sophie held her breath, counting the seconds.

Only 24 had passed before Elysian opened her eyes and smiled at Sophie. "Well, I now assume I can trust you."

"Wait, you got past my defenses?" Sophie gasped, putting her hands on her head and jumping away. She thought that she would at least feel her, especially if she was concentrating.