Chapter Twenty Two

"Should we go talk to Fitz now?" Biana said after Keefe and Fitz left. 

But Sophie couldn't find the strength to move.

Instead she sat there, her legs burning from crouching for too long, trying to process everything she'd heard.

Keefe was hiding something.

Something big.

So big he had agreed to completely disconnect from her if it got too dangerous. And knowing Keefe, it probably would get too dangerous.

But the worst part was that he had kept things from her. Again. 

She really had thought she could trust him this time, but she was wrong. Keefe couldn't be trusted. He kept too many secrets.

She didn't know what to do.

"What's he hiding?" Sophie mumbled to herself.

"I don't know, but sitting here doing nothing isn't going to help," Biana said. "If it really is getting more dangerous than you and Fitz have to stay cognates."

"I know," Sophie said. "Let's go try and convince him." 

"Let's go," Biana agreed, linking her arm around Sophie's.

When they got to Fitz's room, Sophie pounded on the door.

"Go away Biana!" Fitz shouted.

"It's Sophie!" She said. "We need to talk."

The door slowly opened.

"What do you want." It was colder than Sophie had hoped, but at least he had opened the door.

"Tiergan told me you don't want to be cognates anymore," Sophie said. 

"I don't," Fitz said. "There's no point. The Neverseen are gone, and it's been too much of a struggle."

"The Neverseen aren't going to be the only problem our world ever faces," Sophie said.

"What does that mean?"

"It's not going to be sunshine and rainbows for long. I mean, it might be for a couple hundred years, but then there's going to be a new problem to deal with. And we're going to need to be strong."

Fitz grinned. "Wow, you really are getting used to our lifespans aren't you."

"I've been trying to," Sophie admitted. "But that's not the point. The point is that we can't stop being cognates."

Fitz ran a hand through his hair. "Sophie, that's my decision."

"It's your decision if people die the next time a problem comes up, because we aren't prepared." Sophie said, trying not to yell.

"It's not our job to protect the world, Sophie! We're kids! We're supposed to be worrying about midterms, and our match lists. Not about what happens in a couple hundred years!"

"We're not normal, we have to worry about this stuff. Or else, who will?"

"The collective. The council. anyone."

"I know there's something going on," Sophie said. "Why won't you tell me?"

Fitz raised his eyebrows. "Nothing's going on. What are you talking about?"

Sophie almost believed him, but Fitz wasn't a good liar. 

"I know something's happening. Why won't anyone tell me."

"They won't tell me either," Biana piped in. 

"Nothing's going on," Fitz repeated. "We just got rid of the Neverseen. How would there be a new problem already."