Chapter Twenty One

"What?" Sophie exclaimed. "Why?"

Tiergan shrugged. "I'm not sure. he didn't give me much explanation. In fact, I think you probably have a better idea than me."

She probably did. 

"It's all my fault," Sophie mumbled.

"His decisions are not your fault," Tiergan assured her. "Why do you think that?"

Sophie tugged an eyelash. "I... got with Keefe," she said, feeling uncomfortable. This wasn't the kind of thing she liked sharing with adults. Especially her mentor. But she knew that Tiergan needed to know if he was going to help her. "I think it made Fitz mad."

"Ah, I see," Tiergan said, looking almost as uncomfortable as Sophie. "That explains a lot."

"What can we do?" Sophie asked. "We've got to keep working on this. Just because the Neverseen are gone doesn't mean there won't be more threats."

But a little part of Sophie wanted to let it be. It would save her from so many awkward conversations and maybe being away from each other would help Fitz heal. 

But the other, stronger part of her insisted that they had to keep going. They had come so far already. And awkward conversations were worth it if it meant she could keep her friendship with Fitz.

"What can we do?" She said again.

"I'm not sure," Tiergan said. "I absolutely agree that you guys shouldn't stop trying to become cognates, but I want to respect Fitz's choices.  He is still allowed to decide not to do it."

"Will you talk to him?" Sophie asked. 

"I already have. He's firm on his decision."

Sophie frowned. "You have to help me find a way to convince him."

Tiergan sighed. "That's the problem, Sophie. I don't think I can do anything else without disrespecting his decision. You can do whatever you want, but I'm not going to try and change his mind anymore."

Sophie glared at him. "Don't you think this is more important?"

"Than respecting Fitz's choices? No."

"How can you not think this isn't important enough?"

Tiergan looked Sophie in the eye. "Achieving Cognatedom will not work if you force Fitz to do it. He needs to be willing."

Sophie frowned. "Fine. But I'm still going to try and convince him."

______________________________

After school, Sophie only stopped at her house for a minute, to change from her school uniform. Then she went straight to Everglen and pounded on the door.

"Sophie!" Della exclaimed when she answered. "What a surprise! Are you okay?"

"Can I talk to Fitz?" Sophie asked, trying to keep her voice from rising. 

"Oh," Della's face fell. "I don't think he wants to talk to you right now."

"I really need to see him," Sophie said.

"I know," Della said. "He said you might be here. But he doesn't want to talk right now."

Sophie sighed. "Can I at least talk to Biana?"

"Sophie?" Biana poked her head in the room. "I didn't know you were going to be here."

"It was last minute," Sophie explained.

"You two can talk," Della said. "But I wouldn't try to talk to Fitz right now."

She left, leaving Sophie and Biana.