Chapter Seven

"WE'VE DECIDED TO HELP YOU GET THE STONE," COUNCILOR EMORY TOLD ELYSIAN, who had come back as soon as they hailed her.

Elysian smiled. "You have not made the wrong choice."

Sophie tugged out an eyelash. She wished she knew which choice was right and which was wrong, but she still didn't know, even though she had made a decision already. She wished they had more time to investigate, but they had to find the stone today, or Elysian wouldn't get her powers back for another Millennium. 

"We hope so," Councilor Emory agreed. "But for now, you need to tell us everything you know about the stone."

"My only knowledge is the knowledge I have already shared with you," Elysian said. "And one other line of passage."

"And what's that?" Mr. Forkle asked. 

"The only way for the prize of eyes is by never having wronged, and by being one true pure." Elysian said. 

"You mean... someone who's perfect has to get it?" Biana asked. Everyone turned towards Linh.

"Trust me, she's not perfect," Tam told them. "But... probably more perfect than some of you." 

"And what does it mean by, the prize of eyes?" Rayni said.

"I do not yet know the exact meaning of the puzzle, but I assume you will figure it out without too much trouble," Elysian said.

"We will," Mr. Forkle assured her. "When exactly does nightfall end?"

"It is the beginning of the tenth day, so at nightfall tonight," Elysian told him.

"Well that makes sense," Keefe said.

"We'll meet you here right before nightfall tonight," Mr. Forkle said. "And if everything goes well, we'll have the stone ready." 

"I wish you well, and hope you succeed," Elysian said. Then she was gone.

And everyone started talking.

"Will any of us even be able to get it?" Linh asked "None of us are perfect."

"I don't think it means perfect," Mr. Forkle said. "I think it means they do everything with a good intention, and fight for what they believe in."

"Well then, obviously Sophie," Keefe said. "You just pretty much described her."

"What?" Sophie asked. She wanted to get the stone, but she definitely wasn't perfect. She expected someone to say that, but everyone was nodding. The collective, the council, her friends, even Stina. "You guys think I'm perfect?"

"No, we don't think you're perfect," Dex said. "But we do think you have good intentions and try your hardest to do what's right."

"And if that doesn't count," Biana added. "Then I don't think any of us have a chance."

"But-" Sophie said, thinking about all the times she had made mistakes, or acted selfishly. 

"Sophie, you're the best for the job," Fitz said. Sophie looked into his eyes, and saw that he meant it. Maybe this meant they could still be friends. Maybe it meant he still trusted her. She really hoped so.

"I think we should only send a few people on this mission," Mr. Forkle said. "It will need secrecy, as we're breaking into the troll capitol."

"If you are discovered, or even seen," Council Emory said. "This could potentially start a war."

"A war?" Sophie gasped.

"Yes," Emory told her. "But we have weighed in everything, and right now, we have started to grow worried about... people getting hurt. The Neverseen have already killed people right under our noses, and we have failed to acknowledge it. In a way, we have failed our people, and we don't want to make more mistakes."