Chapter Ten

"They really don't care that we're doing this?" Grady asked as they trekked up the tall mountain. Sophie knew she would be cold at the top, but it was still hot on the tropical island, and soon she was sweaty and gross. 

"It was weird," Tam said. "They were all defensive, but when they realized what we were trying to do, they got all sad like they were sure our fate was already decided."

"Which it's not," Keefe said, looking around at everyone to make sure they knew that. "We're going to make it through this," he added when he got to Sophie's face. And Sophie believed it. She was just trying not to think of how injured they would be. How many new scars her friends would have because they were helping her.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure whatever's up there doesn't stand a chance," Maruca said, flashing a force field. 

"No way," Marella agreed, sparking a flame in her hand. "Not when we can do this."

"Do we know what we're facing?" Dex asked, not looking as confident as Maruca and Marella. 

"No," Sophie admitted. "But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough."

"What powers do you think it has? Do you think it's a froster and a guster, since there's so much cold and wind up there? I wonder if it's something else too," Jensi said.

"I bet it just needs to be understood," Wylie said. "If we talk to it, we might be able to get through without fighting it."

"But we don't even know what it is," Grady said.

All of Sophie's friends started arguing what it was, but Keefe came over to where Sophie was trying to channel her strength into the climb, but more focused on trying not to tug out all of her eyelashes.

"We really are going to be okay," he said. 

"I know," Sophie said. "We'll get through it. Just like we've gotten through everything."

"He's right," Fitz said from behind her. He jogged up to catch up with them. "Everything will be okay." 

He gave her his trademark movie star worthy smile, and Sophie smiled, hoping this meant he was okay with being her friend now.

Bartice came up from behind Fitz. "That jog looked very overexerting, are you sure you don't-" 

"No, I don't want to be carried," Fitz snapped, and Sophie wondered how many times he had gotten that offer. 

"I want to be carried though," Keefe said, walking over to Bartice and holding his arms up like he was going to grab her neck.

"No," Bartice said shortly.

"Please?" Keefe asked, stretching it out extra long. "I'm so tired!"

"And so whiny," Fitz pointed out.

"Definite no," Bartice said, crossing her arms.

"Can you believe that?" Keefe asked Sophie. "Bodyguards never want to carry me."

Sophie snorted. "I wonder why?"

"Why?" Keefe asked, looking genuinely confused. 

Sophie sighed. "You'll have to find out yourself." 

"Oh, I know why," Keefe said. "They probably-"

He was cut in by a loud "Shh," and Sophie was pretty sure it came from Grady. "We're almost to the top," Grady said. "So if you don't want to be caught, I would stay quiet."

The group crept forward, and soon they were at a wall of mist that blocked the rest of the path. Sophie turned towards her friends. "Are you sure you want to do this?"