Chapter Four

"HEY," JENSI SAID, TWISTING HIS FINGERS TOGETHER NERVOUSLY.

"Hey," Sophie said, glancing at Keefe, who looked more nervous than Jensi.

"So I heard you can help me manifest," Jensi said. "What's the plan? Wait does it have something to do with Keefe? By the way, it's good to see you again." 

"Yeah," Sophie said, taking a deep breath, not quite prepared for how fast Jensi talked. "I think I talked to you about this, but Keefe is..."

"The one and only ability detector," Keefe jumped in when Sophie didn't finish.

"Yeah, that," Sophie said, hoping that Jensi wouldn't tell everyone. She hadn't really told anyone, since it was kind of a secret, because of what happened with Rex.

"Whoa, that's crazy," Jensi said. "Like, crazy cool. Wait, so you can tell what ability someone has? Or if they're about to manifest? Or if they're..." his face fell, and Keefe's did too. "Talentless," Jensi finally mumbled.

"Yeah," Keefe said quietly. Jensi cleared his throat.

"Well I guess let's do it then. May as well get it over with anyway. In fact, it'll honestly be a relief to finally know. I've been wondering for so long, and the anticipation has practically killed me."

"Sophie?" Sophie snapped around to see Edaline walking in, frowning curiously. "You didn't tell me you were having friends over. Wait, is that... Jensi? Jensi Bablos?"

"Yes, he's one of my friends at school," Sophie said. "He's over here for... a project."

"Okay," Edaline said. "Why don't you three head up to your room, I'll send up some of my fresh batch of rippleruffs. Some of my best, I would say. Wait- are there more coming?"

"No, just us three," Sophie said. "And thanks."

"Of course."

"So, do you guys want to head up?" Sophie asked.

"Sure!" Jensi said, getting some of his excitement back. "I've never seen your room before. What does it look like? I bet there is lots of cool human stuff. And some awesome random tech. And—"

"Actually, it's pretty normal," Keefe informed him. "There's like, five personal things. Well maybe seven now that I gave her those paintings."

"Really?" Jensi asked excitedly. "That actually makes sense. It's almost like Sophie in it's own way, because she's always busy fighting the Neverseen and almost dying and stuff."

"Actually it's called Fostering it now," Keefe said. "And don't think I've forgotten about that Foster," he added. "I haven't really had a chance to use the new name, but I'm sure I'll have plenty more chances..." He trailed off when he realized he was talking about her almost dying. They all fell silent until they got to Sophie's room.

"Whoa," Jensi said. "I mean, it surprises me, but it also doesn't you know what I mean?"

Sophie plopped onto her bed, and Iggy jumped onto her lap.

"Wow you have a pet imp?" Jensi said, sitting beside her and scratching Iggy's ears. "That's super cool. I had one a long time ago, but I had to get rid of it when it wrecked my brother's room. He was like, super mad."

"Yeah," Sophie said. "Iggy wouldn't do that to my room though."

"Are you sure?" Jensi asked. "I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. Imps look small and cute, but really? They're tiny monsters that want to chew the world. He's probably plotting something as insanely crazy as the Great Gulon Incident right now."

"Which by the way, you still need to tell me about," Sophie told Keefe. Keefe just smirked mysteriously at her, and zipped his lips. Sophie frowned at him, and Jensi laughed.