Chapter 40 - Innocent

Sonoko has caught everyone's attention ever since she stepped back in our school. She was always popular. But ever since she cracked a famous case, she's more popular than ever.

She's hell-bent on catching the bandit causing all the trouble in Akademi. Her mentor is the journalist. Everyone's curious and sketchy as to why his mentee is here, considering he's been lurking at the entrance since the past 2 months.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
That's a quote Sonoko deeply follows. That's because the newspaper club is constantly surrounding her, even though she warned not to be around her. And along with them, I'm around her as well. It works well for her.

She's constantly setting up traps for me to fall in. She'd place her bento in an obvious manner for me to come and poison her. She'd hang out with Senpai all the time to see who's spying on him. She'd constantly scribble and investigate everyone she could find.

She's making every button of mine push. Unfortunately for her, I'm around her as well. That means that me being around her (and Senpai) is justified. We're both on each other's backs. One can't shake off the other.

It's a stalemate.

We both don't win, but no one loses either. The battle just ends because the game just can continue further without wasting everyone's time. Is her plan working or backfiring? We'll never know.

However she won't leave until she catches me red handed, which means the longer she stays the more she's with Senpai. I would've been fine with her irritating me. I mean, I've bared that journalist for weeks.

But he wasn't getting cozy with my Senpai. His plan to send Sonoko was stupid. But I can't win. Since I won't be able to win, might as well make sure he fails. Isn't that winning in a way here?

I can feel her eyes reading me all the time. She just waits patiently for me to slip or screw up just once. Once. Then she'll finally catch me.

Today, just like any other day, Sonoko escorted Senpai to his classroom. She turned her head left and right to check for stalkers. Once they reached, the newspaper club made their way outside.

"The area seems clear for now." She said and jotted something down. "I don't get it. Why me?" Sonoko looked up from her notepad. "What do you mean?" She leaned against the table besides Senpai and went back to writing.

"I mean...isn't it weird? You don't hang out with anyone else like that." Senpai said. "Not...not that I mind..your company..I'm just asking why." He said. She swirled her notepad shut. "Haven't you noticed it? You?" She stood straight.

"Everyone who gets close to you ends up vanishing. One way or another. They either die, leave, or just stop talking to you. You tell me, isn't it weird how every affected girl was your friend?"

Senpai nods slowly still deep in his thoughts. "I guess so.." he let out. "I'm not saying you're responsible. Everyone's a suspect. But you're connected to this case, not a culprit. Just got caught in the wrong web."

He thought deep while resting his chin on his fingers. He seemed sad. "Am I..responsible for this?" Sonoko's gaze softened. He sank in his seat. "What happened to him is horrible...and ever since Ai got electrocuted in front of me I.." he pauses.

"I'm not the same. I had some other girls be nice to me but...they too left. It has to do something with me." Sonoko flipped the chair in front of him and sat. She rested her elbows on his table.

Senpai's head bowed down in defeat. I hate seeing him like this. If only I could hug him.

"Hey," she said. He didn't respond. "Yokichi-San," he didn't say anything. She sighed, then cupped his face and lifted it up. I've never felt my heart spike this fast. "It's not your fault. You're innocent. I'm sure you're not involved in any of this."

That girl! Who the hell does she think she is, getting her filthy hands on MY SENPAI?!

She's gonna have to go now.

_______________________________

Technically, sonoko is in 2-2, but doesn't make sense for her leave for a yr and come back if she were in 1st yr. So I logically made her a senior.