Chapter 1

It was my second birthday. The five of us were gathered at the table, I was in Mom's arms. Wanda and Pietro sat together on either end of the table, and Dad recorded across the table from me and Mom. 

Dad records me blowing out my candles through a straw. Everyone claps as the flames vanish. 

Mom hands me to Pietro and walks over to Dad to see the photos and video. They walk further away from us, and towards the lamp, so Mom can see better. 

Wanda walks over to Pietro and I, and squats down to meet me at eye level. She talks to me, boops my nose, and doesn't let her smile fade. I giggle.

There's a boom from below us. A hole appears in the ground beneath Mom and Dad. They fall through, reaching for eachother's arms. The three of us start screaming and crying. 

Pietro takes me underneath the table with him. Wanda follows. 

That was all Wanda showed me through her powers. It wasn't for years and years that she was even able to give me a visual, but I'm glad she did, because it's the only memory I have of them. 

After Mom and Dad's death, we were on our own. We moved there from Samara, Russia a yea prior, so we had no family to stay with. I practically lived in daycare till I was 7 and we got an apartment. A few years later, a group called Hydra was taking volunteers for non-disclosed experiments. They promoted that it would be to protect our city from future wars and attacks, since threats and bombings were every couple months. 

All three of us applied, and went there regularly. 

Sometimes I sit and wonder to myself whether or not that was the right call.