Chapter 2 | A Cabin in the Woods

"So, Fish, huh?"

"So, Fish, huh?"

The white-haired girl released a startled snort, nearly dropping the small box of books she grasped in her arms. 

River and Blaine were bringing in box after box from her truck. Her new friend had insisted that she help River unpack all of her things, which River allowed after a minute of hesitation. 

She had an assortment of things, the majority being books and decorations of different fish. The black-haired girl had many questions about nearly everything she found.

Blaine cackled like a witch from her reaction, a laugh that was far too contagious for River to handle. 

"What? I noticed you have lots of fish stuff." She giggled. 

The plump woman pushed all the books in her box into the bookshelf before turning around and putting her hands on her hips. Around the two, posters and sculptures of fish were all over the walls. 

Even a blanket on a couch she hauled in covered in cartoony fish.

Blaine cackled more upon seeing River's 'really?' look on her face. The white-haired girl sighed, "I work as an Ichthyologist." She told the girl. 

All she received was a confused stare. The woman blinked and blinked again, then opened her mouth.

"I won't even try to say that word." She breathed. River smiled warmly. 

During her time with Blaine, unpacking all of her things and decorating her home, she has already come to love the girl. She caught onto her anti-social habits and tuned down her normally loud personality. 

It felt so sincere and thoughtful. River even found herself adjusting to partly meet Blaine's bubbly habits.

After Blaine set down the last box, she dusted her hands off and glanced at the clock before she turned to look at her new friend. 

"Well, Riv, it seems this is where we temporarily part." She sighed dramatically. River also glanced at the clock—it was 8 p.m.

A large grin spread across the girl's face at her new nickname. It was adorable. Her cheeks began to ache from how big her smile was. 

"Well, Blainey, it seems you are correct," River joked. Blaine smiled in return.

She marched the girl to the front door, where Blaine restricted herself from hugging the girl to death. As she descended the porch stairs, she glanced over her shoulder at River. 

"And, Riv, a good warning..." She began.

The black-haired girl's eyes shone a deadly ruby, pupils becoming sharp slits. 

"There are lots of wolves out here." She whispered- though River heard her loud and clear. 

Her eyes widened with fright.