Chapter 1 - Genesis

I was running. I was running through thick forest. I was running from monster behind me. I could hear it's milk curdling roar. Above me the sky was dark, the moon not insight.
The heavy clouds dropped so low that some even rested on the slippery mud. My feet splashed through it as I ran, staining the underside of my feet brown. My face was marked with the lines of tears which cut through the dirt like how the lightning cut through the sky.

The only time the bleak sky was illuminated was when a streak of ice blue lightning flew across it. It was both awe inspiring and terrifying. The sound of thunder though, scared me. It shook me to my core. Almost with  every other step, I tripped and fell. I was so clumsy. I wanted to stop but it was not safe. The monster still chased me. What did I do wrong? Why was it chasing me? Why was I alone?

The further I ran the quieter it got. After ten minutes I could barely hear them. Fifteen more after that and the forest was almost silent. It would have been silent if it was not for me. My sobs and crying echoed through the still forest. As another flash of lightning flew ahead, I found a small, hollow, moss robed log. Perhaps I could stay in there. I slowly but quickly ran to it. I was right, it was large enough for me to fit in it. I then felt a sudden jab of pain in my leg. I looked at it to realise there was a large cut down it. Half of me almost gagged at the sight, half of me was more aware because of the smell.I tried my hardest not to scream in agony.

As I looked up at the iridescent moon, I felt a calming presence wash over me.

A gentle golden light then caught my eye. I looked out of the log to see an outline of a bunny. I giggled at the sight of it just hopping about. It then moved towards me. I instantly flinched at the sudden movement, then it nuzzled into my shoulder. It felt so soft and so warm. It's warmth spread through me like blood on linen. I slowly felt myself drift off into sleep.

—————————————————————

I could hear people hastily talking. They were saying something about "the den" and then something about "Jesus and his disciples". I barely understood a word. It was dark. Wherever I was, it was dark. And warm. And soft. I felt so relaxed, I felt safe. Someone then gently lifted me up. I could not see their face. They felt safe, like they would not hurt me. They carried me into a small, well lit room.

"Is that Stephen?" Someone asked
"Are we ready to go" another added
"Artemis, we need to go" A man said hastily. So the woman's name was Artemis.
"Get going Kratos. The Fae need you" Artemis calmly said.
"See you on the other side, King of Wolves" a man said before walking into a bright light. I then heard shouting coming from outside. Then loud banging which almost took the door of its hinges.

"Fenrir," a proud voice called, "Fenrir. We know that you and the Goddess Artemis are in there."
"Close the bridge" the tall dark man whispered.
"But what about our son, Fen" Artemis whispered. Fenrir let out a sad sigh, "none of us are going to get through that portal. Arty". I could feel the mood in the room drop. I was then gently placed in a chair before I heard the sound of blades being drawn. "If you fight. I fight. You stupid Fae" Artemis said.

I was then blinded by a bright flashing light. The portal looking thing was gone. I then saw the door be punched off of its hinges and hit into the adjacent wall. The next handful of minutes were a blur. The next thing I saw was that I was being picked up by a bloodied arm. I started to cry. "Fen. We need to hide him from them. We must cause a diversion so that he may escape" Artemis sobbed.
"The Wolves. They might be willing to raise Stephen as their own" Fenrir suggested as he pulled us into a hug. "It will be hard for him. He has the blood of the Gods, the blood of the Fae and the blood of the Jötun coursing through his veins. There is also the prophecy about him. Is it hopeless?" Artemis cried. "No. It is not. He has our blood in him. He is our son. He will survive" Fenrir said as he grabbed his axe out of the wall.