The Truth

"Last week I was told by my parents that we would be moving back here, they thought it would give me a chance to finish high school surrounded by people i know and go to college here like i had always planned. So when I found out, i called Tyler, and told him about the plan that i hoped would bring us back together." She looked.. honestly i couldn't tell. I've always been able to tell what was going on by the look on her face but now I'm just, confused. "Mir... you did that, for me?" when she looked back up she had tears in her eyes that looked like they would fall at any moment. "Of course I did, you're my girl Mei, and I love you, no matter what." 

And there they went, the tears falling out of her eyes and onto her hoodie. She jumped at me and pulled me into a hug, but what surprised me was when she pulled away, she kissed me. and holy shit. suddenly everything disappeared, Mei was the only thing i was focused on. not the wind, not the snow, not the fact that we're just on a bench outside a restaurant. just her.

"Miriam, I have liked you since we were kids. i've tried to push it down, and act like it wasn't there because you were gone. and for a while i that it was gone, but my feelings for you have always been this way, no matter how hard i tried. and I think I'm okay with that now." 

We just sat there for a minute smiling like we were dumb kids again. until we saw a flash in the corner of our eyes. we both turned our heads and saw Abby, Priya and Tyler standing there taking pictures. we just laughed and stood up, all walking back to our respective houses.

after all three of them went home it was just me and Mei left. "Can i walk you home?" I asked her, hoping to get just another moment with her. She stopped for a second and looked at me. "I.. I can't." okay, not what i was expecting. "What?" "I can't Mir, my mom will kill me if she saw me with you. she doesn't even want me hanging out with the others. I wasn't even supposed to be out tonight, she doesn't know i'm gone." she snuck out? "Mei, i get it, she's your family and you love her, but you can't let her control your life forever. you're 18 Mei, you've basically been an adult since i met you, and i've known since we were 8 girl. you need to trust yourself that you know what you're doing, and so does she. come on." "Wait Mir where are you going??" she yelled behind me, but i was already on my way. it might be too far but i'm tired of seeing Mei get treated like this, i'm doing something about it.