Chapter 7

The window howled with the winds of the sunrise outside, with a little ray of sunshine laying upon the ground of Herb's room. The silent room buzzed with the hums of the weather, but just enough to not disturb Herb's sleep as he breathed softly in his blankets. His body instinctively shivered to the dropping temperatures, groaning in his sleep.

A set of footsteps approached the room's door, the floor slightly sinking as the figure came closer. A settle knocking was heard against the door, making Herb to the other side of the bed facing the door.

Another knock came through the door, following along the voice of the perpetrator. 

"Herb? Hello? You're making me worried." 

Herb stared at the door, then came up with a response. 

"Don't worry, just give me some more time to sleep..." his voice croaked. 

The voice outside the door was quiet, but no footsteps were heard walking away. They just stood there, listening into Herb's room. 

Herb took the silence as a sign of acceptance and turned back over to the humming window, examining the frost that blocked the view into the outside world. He closed his eyes once more and waited for the sleep to take him over. 

"It's almost noon, Herb." 

Herb jolted up a moment after, looking towards the window. It was a bit too bright to be early in the morning. Herb lifted off the blanket and swung his feet over the side of his bed to stand up. Suddenly, his head pounded and he sat at the edge of the bed, letting himself wake up a bit before he continued to make sudden movements. 

"I didn't even realize," Herb placed his hand on his forehead, "I'm just so tired."

He whipped his head to the clock of his room, and it was indeed almost noon. Eleven-twenty-five to be exact. Herb wasn't sure why his first reaction wasn't to look at the clock right away, but he didn't have the brain power to question anything. 

"Are you alright in there?" the voice asked. 

"Yes... wait, did you guys eat breakfast yet?" 

The voice's tone changed cheerfully, "yeah. Snow Sugar heavily convinced me to go to the bakery." 

Herb shook his head, "you went to the bakery? I didn't think they would even be opened." 

"Apparently they are." 

Herb still sat the bed, barely having the strength to push himself up. He was slightly shaky in his arms and legs. 

"Say, Werewolf cookie?" Herb called to the door. 

"Yes?" the voice identified itself. 

"Can you bring a candle? I have a bad case of the shivers," Herb jokingly commissioned. 

Werewolf turned away this time letting Herb feel the sinking of the floor again, feeling him walk away in the hall.

Herb stayed in his room as Werewolf walked down the stairs, beginning his search to find a candle laying around. Walking into the living room, Werewolf spotted Snow Sugar playing with a small toy.

"Still playing with that ol' toy, hm?" Werewolf looked down at Snow Sugar.

Snow Sugar stopped, "oh, yeah! I like it a lot, it's so soft."

Snow Sugar pet the cake hound toy, having the fuzz on the toy brush against their fingers. Without thinking, Werewolf lowered himself down to Snow Sugar's height and gently placed his hand on the cake hound.

"That is... oddly soft," Werewolf remarked.

"Uh huh!" Snow Sugar nodded, "it's my favorite."

"Snow Sugar, do you happen to know where Herb keeps his candles?"