Chapter 11

"...Werewolf. Hey, Werewolf!"

Werewolf suddenly awoke, "Huh- what?"

"Oh, so you were sleeping!" Herb giggled to himself.

Rubbing his eyes, Werewolf blinked to adjust himself to his brightly whitened environment. He was still in the forest, noticing that the wind had picked up in speed the last time he had his eyes open. Herb had lightly tapped his shoulder, directing his gaze downwards.

"You have a little cuddle buddy too."

Werewolf turned his head down to see what Herb was talking about, seeing the cake hound now laying in his lap. He snored quietly underneath the cape, its strawberry ears lowered, and tail tucked comfortably around himself. Werewolf went to pat its head, "Ah... I do, don't I?"

Herb spoke, "So, did you have a good nap?"

"It would have been even better if you hadn't wakened me up," he added.

"Of course, but I didn't want to just sit here wide awake. I began to feel a little lonely."

Werewolf sighed and began to stretch, raising his arms into the air as he let out a deep yawn, his ears practically doing the same. Herb looked down at the hound, seeing it still sleeping soundly as Werewolf got carefully adjusted into a position that didn't startle him. "What?" Werewolf saw Herb staring at the cake hound, "did I wake him up?"

"No, no! He's fine, I'm just surprised you didn't wake him up."

"The little guy's probably too tired to care," Werewolf suggested.

Just then, a gust of wind blew from behind the tree, lifting their hair as the cold air brushed against their faces. Werewolf had forgotten how horribly cold it had been and shivered intensely, gaining Herb's attention as he scoot closer to Werewolf. Fixing the leaves on his head, Herb came near Werewolf as the wind settled down again. "It's only getting worse, maybe we should leave soon..." Herb looked around, concerned.

Werewolf glanced around with him. The snow was beginning to pile up quickly and there were no signs of the snowfall ending any time soon. He turned to Herb, "So we are leaving then? I mean, what else do we have to stay here for?"

Herb tilted his head towards the cake hound, "Him, obviously! We can't just take him out of here, this is probably his home."

The hound wiggled in his sleep, pausing the conversation momentarily as they waited to see if the cake hound was still asleep before they continued talking.

"Anyway," Herb went on, "we can't really leave without them since it's so cold, so it's best if we stay here."

Werewolf chuckled, "well, as a wild animal myself I'd prefer a warm house over my 'natural habitat' any day-"

"Oh, come on! You are not a wild animal!"

"I'm closer to an animal than you are, that's for sure. If there's anyone that knows something about being an animal, it's probably the cookie that was found living in a cave. Or did you forget that about me?"

Herb frowned, "civilized people can live in caves."

"Do I look civilized to you?"

"Surprisingly, yes-"

Werewolf prevented him from finishing, "-Ah! You said 'surprisingly,' so a part of you at least knows that I should be uncivilized."

"I didn't mean it like that. I meant that in contrary to your belief, I believe you're civilized."

"Are you sure?"

Herb flicked Werewolf's nose in frustration, causing Werewolf to wince in pain and cover his face. "Hey! That's animal abuse."