Chapter 10

The fallen leaves were crushed beneath their feet with snow decorating the piles along the tree line. Snowflakes fluttered around them, the wind brushing against Herb's hair, creating a small whistle as the air moved across the surface. He happily trotted as he hummed a little tune to himself, like the wind and Herb were performing a duet. Werewolf, on the other hand, followed behind the energetic cookie as they ventured forth into an ever-growing forest. Upon entering, Herb pushed aside some of the last bits of flora to create a path into the forest, Werewolf still tagging himself along the newly constructed path.

It was early in the morning as they walked, taking in the view of the sun seeping in through the dead branches of the trees and the snow that only covered the uppermost part of the branches, leaving a contrast of white snow and dark oak. Curiously, Herb held his arm out and let his hand feel the bark as he passed by, the rough texture running through his fingers as he went by every tree. Soon, Herb explored other features of the forest, going about the place and even lowering down to his knees to take a peek at a few flowers that had still been alive.

By Herb's recommendation, Werewolf was persuaded into taking a stroll into the forest for Herb's second day of freedom. He still had to hang out with him until the end of the spell, so he never tried to argue back. The weather became more and more ruthless as the spell continued to wear off, but Herb was still as healthy and free as he was in the beginning. Catching up with Herb, Werewolf came to his side as they walked.

"Oh? Finally decided to join me?" Herb joked.

"Sure, not much I can do anyway."

Herb just chuckled and went along the imaginary trail, looking around more attentively than before. Werewolf sighed, continuing his journey with Herb.

Herb would halt abruptly every few minutes to take in the environment, glancing further at the far corners of the forest and making Werewolf stop in his tracks. He took his time, almost forcing Werewolf to look around with him, suddenly making his way over to a large tree with some flowers surrounding it. Once Herb approached the trunk, he plopped himself down at the roots, sitting comfortably as he laid back against the tree, letting out an "ahh!"

"Tired already?" Werewolf hovered above Herb.

"No, I'm just relaxing. Here," Herb placed his hand to the side of him, "sit with me."

Werewolf gave him a confused look, but reluctantly sat next to Herb, swooping his cape to the side as he did so. Laying his head against the oak, Werewolf looked into the sky and watched the snowflakes fly down to his face. Herb saw Werewolf staring upwards, looking with him, seeing the darkened clouds pass by right above them.

"What are you thinking about?" Herb spoke.

Werewolf came up with something quickly, "I'm not sure, why do you want to know?"

"Well, I'm taking the time to get to know you. We're not in a rush, are we?"

Werewolf scoffed, smiling just for a second before returning to a distressed frown. Herb turned over to Werewolf, facing him directly as he waited for an answer.

"Shouldn't we be going around? Like you said, we can be exploring around while you're on the spell, why are you wasting it here?"

Herb turned away after hearing Werewolf's words. He fought the feeling of disappointment, responding to his question.

"If I were really wasting my time, I would be inside and laying in my bed. Instead, I'm here with you. I get to be outside and enjoy myself while also enjoying your company. That, to me, isn't wasted time, it's time well spent!"

"Did it have to be with me though?"

Herb poked him playfully, "Yes! I wouldn't have done this with anyone else."