Chapter 8

-Scott's POV

After we had ordered our food and settled down, I started to try to talk to Liz. "You know Liz," I tried to hide the worry that was most likely in my expression. "you and Ellie are a lot alike..."

"No we're not." I heard her mumble, trying not to let me hear. "Actually, I think you are." I ran a hand through my messy hair and adjusted the position my elbows were in on the table. "You know how Ellie was adopted?" How would Liz react?
Would she even remember?

Slowly she nodded her head, the angry expression still affixed on her tiny face. "Well, do you, uh, remember that you were too?" I hesitated, worried how she would take the information.

A look of confusion was all that could be seen. "Umm no..." Her brain was still trying to figure it out. "Oh.." I let out a heavy sigh. "Well, about three or so years ago, it was your birthday." I began to explain.

"Long story short, they uh, they were uhh." I don't want to hurt her feelings or get her mad or even upset, but I don't know how to tell her this. "TheyabusedyousoIadopetyou!" I spoke very quickly and ended in a fake, nervous laugh.

"Daddy, talk slower." Liz said. "Ok," I gave in, my expression dropping. "I said that they-" I cleared my throat, knowing I couldn't stall for any longer. That didn't stop me from trying though.

"Hey isn't that the food? Aren't you getting hungry? Where is the food?" I started looking around, pretending to look for the waiter. "No tell me!" Liz begged. "Fine." I muttered, as I had given up.

"They were abusing you, and it was really bad. When we were on our way to drop off your presents, they were hurting you. Therefore, I adopted you, and now here you are."

"Oh..." Was all she said, her voice small and her eyes glassy.

-Avi's POV

We're at home now, and everyone is still crowding around Ellie, making sure she was ok. The doctor let her go and told us that she had an allergic reaction to the blueberries that were found in the waffles from this morning.

"You ok now Ellie?" I asked, rocking the small child on my lap. She nodded sleepily, gripping onto my shirt. "Aww poor thing." Mitch spoke softly, moving a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Yeah," Esther agreed. "That must've been really horrible to go through." I nodded. "My poor baby." I whispered. "I'm gonna go put her to bed now. She's been through a lot today.

I carried her to Liz's room again, and tucked her away. "Here," I handed her BoBo as her eyes started to droop. "Tank you daddy.." She said just before soft snores began to escape her lips.

I kissed her forehead. "Goodnight Princess." I whispered in her ear, then exited the room and turned off the lights.

-Scott's POV 

Liz didn't talk the rest of the way home. It was silent, except for some random song playing quietly on the radio. I looked in the rear view mirror at my small child looking out the window, closing her eyes every once in a while as if she was trying to fall asleep.

I messed up. A lot. I didn't sing to my princess when she wanted me to. I made her sleep on the couch. I let someone else take BoBo, her special bear. 

BoBo. The very first day Liz was mine. She reached and babbled for the bear out of bag of gifts from Mitch. When she couldn't decide if she was more interested in the bear or Wyatt.

All in that day, my life changed. I realized that at the beginning, I knew it was going to be hard. But I made it work, with everyone else's help. 

These past two days. When I was making a child happy, I was killing my own. She NEEDED me. I all I did was tell her "Be nice to Ellie.".

I opened my mouth and was about to say something, but it closed back. I looked back in the mirror at Liz, studying her scar.

Shit.

 It all made sense now.

-Flashback (Liz's POV)

"What do you want for Christmas?" Avi asked me on our way to the store. I thought for a second before coming up with my answer.

"I want a sister. Or a brother. I don't care." I said, turning and looking out the window at the passing cars. 

"I don't know if Daddy is ready for another baby." Avi said, before looking in the mirror at a car behind us. "What is he doing?" He said, causing me to turn around and look out the back.

I thought more on what Avi had said. He said Daddy wasn't ready for another baby. Maybe Avi was! I turned back around, and started talking. "So even if Daddy wasn't ready, could- AVI!"

Something really hard pushed up on the back of the car. I felt something sharp in my face, before seeing a blurry Avi turn around and look at me before he fell back against the seat and closed his eyes. 

My face hurt. My arm hurt. I didn't know what to do, so I began to scream and cry. I wanted Avi to wake up. What happened? I heard sirens, when I started to get dizzy. I put my head on the back of the seat, and fell asleep.

-End of flashback (Scott's POV)

After the car accident, Liz told me what she had told, and tried to, tell Avi. I remembered every word. For a three year old, she had given it in so much detail.

The thing was, Liz finally got what was, before the accident, her biggest wish. 

It's not how she wanted it. Everything connected. She didn't hate Ellie because she "took the attention". I knew my child. She was hiding something, and I was figuring it out.

She wanted a sibling. Avi told her I wasn't ready, so Liz figured she should ask him. 

She tried to ask.

The accident.

The scar.

Ellie.

Avi answered her question, three years later.

Ellie wasn't a sibling that she wanted. 

Ellie was a reminder.

___________________________________________________________

-WOOOOOOOO!

Explanation time.

So first of all, Arianna (GodsAngelAlways) is no longer writing in this book. It's just me, Allie. (Allie_ptx18) We've been trying to figure stuff out, and now this is no longer a collab book.

IT WILL STILL BE UPDATING!

I will try to update more regularly. By the way, if you have any questions or are confused on anything in this book, leave a comment and ask! I will try to answer them! (or another reader will, if the get to it before me)

I was listening to Light In The Hallway while writing this, so that's why it's kind of emotional. Hope you liked it anyway.

Also...Update schedule? I'll try to update every Saturday and Wednesday!

Thanks!

~Allie