Chapter 21

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Gun's POV

What the hell was Mark doing, coming back to my unit at the wrong time. What was Boat going to think. He must be thinking that I'm such a big player, going back and forth between Pond and Mark faster than a ping pong ball.

I quickly rushed to my bedroom and picked up the offending article of clothing from my bed and rushed to the front door with it.

Boat was closing the front door just when I reached it.

"Where is Mark?" I asked.

"He left," Boat stated simply.

"Why did he not wait for me to give him back his undershirt?" I asked, completely puzzled.

"Beats me," Boat said, shrugging his shoulders. "Let's go eat the nasi goreng that I cooked for you."

"Wait," I said, going back to the bedroom and going to one side of my closet where I had a shelf that contained folded gift bags.

I took one of the smaller ones and placed Mark's undershirt in it and placed it inside my back pack so that I would not forget to bring it with me to uni tomorrow.

When I got back to the dining area, Boat had already set the table and the delicious smell of the nasi goreng reached my nose.

On impulse, I gave Boat what I meant to be just a buddy hug. When I tried to move away, he held me fast, refusing to let me go.

"I'm finished hugging you," I said with an uncomfortable chuckle.

"But I'm not," he said. starting to lower his face towards mine.

"No," I said, "I'm sorry."

He placed his hands on either side of my face.

"Look me in the eye, Gun," he said, "and tell me that you feel nothing for me."

I shook my head.

"I'm sorry," I said once more. "Right now I am very confused. You have caught me at a time when my mind is in great confusion."

"What are you confused about, Gun?" he asked, his eyebrows meeting in a frown.

When I looked away, unable to answer his question, his hands left my face and shook my shoulders lightly.

"You can't decide between Pond and Mark, right?" he asked.

When I still didn't answer and refused to look at him, he pulled me close to him.

"If you can't decide between them, why don't you start giving your attention to me," he said softly into my ears.

I pulled away from him.

"Don't make my life more complicated than it already is," I said.

He let out a loud sigh.

"Maybe what you need is some alone time," Boat said, admitting defeat in his attempts to make me see that he meant more to me than being a close friend, a good buddy, someone who was always there for me.

"Come, let's dig into our nasi goreng before it gets cold," he said, taking my wrist and leading me to the dining table.

We ate in silence.

He barely touched his plate. I could tell that he was unhappy with my rejection of him.

At the end of our dinner, I stood up to collect the plates and utensils.

He offered to wash them but I said no, I could just chuck them into the dishwasher with a previous load and start the cycle.

He nodded.

"Do you want me to stay or do you want me to leave now?" he asked.

He was unable to hide the hurt in his tone.

I suddenly felt the need to comfort him.

I came over to him and hugged him tight.

"No," he said, pulling away. "This won't do. Like I said earlier, go give yourself some quiet time. Go back and think about your happy times and sad times with Pond. Do the same with Mark. And then stop and think about our own happy times together. About how I have never given you cause to be sad. About how I have always been ready to come to you whenever you call me. About how..." he let out another loud sigh. "I could go on all night, but it's better for your own thoughts to convince you whom you really want to be with."

He turned to walk towards the front door.

He opened the door, but before walking out he turned back to me to say, "... and may the best man win."

I had no response to that. I just watched as he walked out and closed the door behind him.

I was walking towards the dishwasher to start the cycle when my phone started to ring.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and swiped the screen absentmindedly.