Chapter 26

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Third Person POV

"Hey," Perth snapped his fingers in front of Mark, and when he got no reaction Perth waved his hand very close to Mark's face.

Mark pushed Perth's hand away.

"What's eating you, Mark?" Perth demanded to know. "You've been staring into space for close to half an hour now."

Mark shook his head sadly.

"I don't know if I did the right thing last night," Mark said gloomily.

"What did you do last night?" Perth got curious.

"I stormed out of Gun's place because I was upset with his crazy stupid mentality," Mark explained.

"And what is that mentality," Perth needed an explanation.

"He thinks that my being younger than him is enough reason for him to stop seeing me," Mark explained. "He's worried that people in this campus would start talking negatively about him being seen with someone like me just because of our age gap."

"Yeah, that's pretty stupid thinking," Perth agreed with Mark.

"But I should have stayed and tried to make him see reason instead of storming out of his place like that," Mark said.

"I always say, it's never too late to correct one's mistake," Perth said, placing a reassuring hand on Mark's shoulder.

Mark did not respond. He continued to stare gloomily into space.

Perth was about to say something again when the bell rang signifying the start of their first morning class.

Perth stood up from the bench, picked up his backpack and slung it carelessly across one shoulder. Mark did the same. Together they made their way slowly towards their classroom.

Mark tried to focus on his morning subjects and then it was lunchtime.

"Let's try something new," Perth suggested, to steer Mark's sad thoughts to something happier.

"What do you suggest?" Mark asked but the tone of his voice indicated no real interest.

"I was thinking, let's try that newly opened Hawaiian restaurant at the mall," Perth replied.

"We might not be able to get back in time for our Pharmacognosy class," Mark sounded worried.

"But the mall is just a five minute drive and we have an hour and a half interval before our afternoon class," Perth reasoned out.

"All right then," Mark agreed reluctantly.

"Your car or mine?" Perth asked.

"I don't have enough focus at this time to drive us safely to the mall and back," Mark replied.

"Very well then," Perth agreed and started walking towards the university parking lot.

Mark followed slowly close behind and then started to walk faster to keep up with Perth's stride.

"We will never be able to get back to our afternoon class in time," Mark said, observing the long line in front of the cashier who was taking the customers' orders.

But surprisingly another cashier came to man the other register that was on the other side of the counter. People immediately left the line and flocked to the newly opened register.

In no time at all Perth and Mark were able to give their order of two plate lunches which consisted of two scoops of white rice, a scoop of macaroni salad and a generous serving of kahlua pork slices. For dessert they ordered a jumbo size cup of brightly colored rainbow shave ice.