Prologue

The kids were playing in the pool. The two boys were spraying each other with water guns. It was early August, during their third visit back to the island that year. Parts of Lisa missed the area she called home, but also dreaded these visits.

The little, brunette one held his little gun out and sprayed his mom, who was sitting in a lounge chair by the pool. She put down her book with a smile. "Leo!"

She placed her book on the small table and made her way to the pool. The boys screeched and retreated towards the other side, which was closer to the dock and away from the mansion. She took the steps down and dove underwater. Leo was screwed. His little legs did not get him far those days. When she was underneath him, she pushed with her feet and picked him up. She was singing the Jaws song while tickling him. His little laugh submerged and he could not hold it back.

The three of them were laughing. Gavin tackled the mother and tried to save his little step brother. She already knew what to do. She pulled little Gavin in front of her and launched him into the pool. Leo wanted to go next, so she repeated it. The boys laughed together and continued to spray each other with the water guns.

It was everything Lisa ever wanted. Everything she pictured was in front of her eyes. She had a big house, a pool, and a happy family. The sun was above them, shining onto the top of Lisa's head. She was living in the mansion from her dreams. Her son was living the life she had wanted for him. There were no negative distractions.

Wayne opened the sliding door with a beaming smile. He ripped off his shirt and dived into the deep part of the pool. He could see the little legs floating above him. He pushed off of the ground and launched himself towards Gavin. His son screeched and laughed as his dad threw him across the pool.

Lisa swam towards Wayne and they held each other. The boys swam towards them as the sun hid behind a temporary cloud.