Chapter 20

Lisa strolled through the door of the mansion with her bag in her hand. She placed her keys onto the tray and made her way to the kitchen. Coincidentally, there was no staff around. Wayne stood on the other side of the island with a mug of coffee in his hand. He lowered his hand towards his torso.

"Where did you go?" he asked with a straight face.

She was never good at lying. "I left some flowers at the house that burnt down and prayed."

He grabbed his phone from his pocket and said, "According to your location on my phone, you were in the middle of the island. The house that burnt down is on the complete other side. "

Lisa could hear her heart beat in her ears. "I placed them at their childhood home. I just didn't want you to worry."

Wayne took another sip of his coffee, then slammed the glass onto the counter. Lisa shuddered. "And it took you an hour?" Her mouth was in a line. Her body had turned into a glass structure. Wayne's eyes narrowed. "Ed was there, wasn't he?" She did not have to respond. Her eyes were welling up. "You know he's been accused of, I can't believe I have to even say this, killing two people!"

Her body was trembling. Fear engulfed her body and the hairs on her arms stood up. There was no way out of this. Wayne began pacing around until he stopped himself, placing his hands on the counter.

His eyes rose from the marble. "You're crazy, Lisa."

She opened her mouth, closed it, then said, "He's a good person. There isn't even confirmed evidence yet." A vein in his forehead became more apparent. "Both of his sisters were killed, Wayne."

Every fiber in his body paused, then blew up like a cannon within him. He swiped the mug off, causing the china to shatter into pieces. The hot coffee splattered onto the floor and cabinets. Right when she was about to clean the mess, Wayne started to walk around the island and towards her. Lisa stood upright, slightly backing away. His steps were twice the size of hers. His body stood in front of her and his heavy exhales blew into her face.

He held out his finger, pointing at her. "I brought you away from that man." His eyebrows were scrunched up and his face was burning. "You're ungrateful. UNGRATEFUL!"

Everything happened so fast that it did not register until Lisa collided with the glass table. The glass shattered onto the carpet. The pain had not hit her yet. There were scratches on her arms and small streaks of blood started to form. When she looked up from the floor, Wayne had his fist clenched. His knuckles were white. There were no signs of regret.

It was time to think. As Lisa's head started to ring and her vision blurred, her hand scrambled around. As Wayne reached down, her fingers found a piece large enough. In seconds, Lisa was in the air in front of him. Any blue in his irises were gone. His pupils were enlarged. It was looking into the eyes of a demon.

With all the energy she had, she threw her arm forwards with the shard in her hand. It made contact, but not enough. Blood started to soak through his blue shirt. She had stabbed him on his side, by his pelvis, doing nothing close to detrimental injury.

Wayne swiped her hand away, causing the glass to fall from her hand easily. It felt like she had drunk four handles. There was nothing computing to her. Wayne was moving in three directions. His eyes in all four were glaring at her.

Before she knew it, she was getting dragged up the stairs. She let out a few words, but nothing stopped him. His hands were tightly gripped onto her underarms. Her mind tried to muster something, a scream, but nothing came out of her mouth. Tears ran down her cheeks. The pain started to kick in quickly. The side of her head pounded. The small scratches hurt when he touched them.

They got to the second level and she could see their room in four visuals. She tried to grab onto the railing, but her strength was dipleated. Wayne marched into the room and laid her onto the floor. The blood from his wound stopped. Lisa's vision started to clear, but it was too late. Wayne slowly walked over to the door and, as he got to the hallway, he slammed it behind him with his foot. There were shifts and twists, then he walked back down the stairs.

It was time to figure something out.

Before doing anything else, he threw on latex gloves in the kitchen. He adjusted them until they fit perfectly. With quickness, he ran down to the basement. He hadn't been down there in years. Hopefully, it had not been cleaned. His finger flicked the light and everything was left down there as usual. Gavin's old bike, Lisa's gardening tools that she had not ever touched, and other random stuff including a paddle. Ed's old paddle.

The old, wooden thing was in there for God knows what reason. He had never even been to this side of the island, as far as Wayne knew. It would not matter soon. He snatched it out from the corner and lugged it upstairs. There was not a lot of time. Wayne pulled the screen door open and ran towards the dock. The ocean kicked in. It poured itself against the rocks. With certainty, he launched it forwards. The wood collided and bounced for a second, then laid firmly on the dock.

With a quick pace, he bolted back to the house. He closed the screen door, yanked off the clothes, and threw them into the garbage bag. He stirred the remnants around until the gloves were not visible. The time was getting close to five. Everything had a hint of gold.

He grabbed his phone and walked towards the door. He snatched his keys, but paused as he stood in front of the door. His head was low. Wayne turned slightly around and stared at the second level. The door was still shut and there was silence. Before he had any second thoughts, he opened the door and ran towards his car.

Lisa heard the gravel and it echoed in her ears like they were church bells and she was standing right in front of them. She wanted to yell at him. She wanted to stop him. He was going to do something to Ed. He might do something to Leo.

Leo. Gavin.

Her body was limp. Her mind was barely functioning. Her vision was impaired.

With all her might, her arms pulled her towards the door. Her legs assisted. Lisa reached with one arm and her hand gripped the door knob. She pulled, but it didn't budge. He had locked it from the outside. Her body groaned and was about to give up. The bright light bored into the room, making her head ache more. Her eyes trained on what was in front of her. The glass doors to the porch. Her eyesight was starting to go black, but she had one shot left in her.

Her hands gripped the floor like she was Spider-man. She yearned for the light. Her body was working with her while it could. The seconds to her were minutes. She slapped the door open and felt the breeze on her face. The ocean was calling to her. At this point, she was delusional. There was not a lot of sanity left. It was all just faith in whatever her mind could grasp on to. Her time was ticking.

The railings were pillars with flat boards. The roof was tilted downwards, but the gutter was an option. The other terrace was not too far. Realistically, the mission would not make sense. The beams of light were disrupting. The pillars were high. Lisa was running out of time.

She lifted her body so that she could stand as firmly as she could. Her body felt numb. A small smile appeared on her face. The water would feel good on her right now. The salt water. Blood was dripping out of her nostrils, but she didn't notice the droplets on the ground. Lisa threw a leg over like she had done this a million times. Her legs were shaking, trying to give in. Her arms were steady as she whipped the other leg over. She was now holding onto the railing like she was Rose, except the ropes weren't there to catch her in case a wave came.

The waves became louder. With each time it would ripple onto the rocks, her head would pulsate. They were not happy to see her. The waves were angry, she thought. They are angry at her.

She held out a foot and it planted into the gutter. She would have to throw herself to land flat onto it, then crawl over to the terrace next door. Her stomach lurched. The sun glared at her. Her body felt heavy all of a sudden. All of her weight was on this one foot.

Leonidas.

With one final push, she threw herself forwards. Her eyesight went black. All she could recall was landing. She did not know where, but the light suddenly got brighter. All she saw was nothingless except for the light.